• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing the JPEG Data??

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving the error "Could not complete your request because of an problem parsing the JPEG data" when I try to open photo files in Elements editor (7.0)? I was able to open these files in Photoshop a few weeks ago and now I get an error. This is occurring for many of my files. How do I correct this? Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 168 Replies 168
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for mentioning that. I just ripped an image through the inspector and it also seems to not be compatible with photoshop for whatever odd reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images downloaded from Instagram are .webp. Even with the .webp plugin, Photoshop CS5 will not open them. I use Irfanview to save them as jpegs. Irfranview offers a batch conversion so you can do many photos in one process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! i've just spent 5 hours to find a solution. Irfranview does the job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a work around for now. I used my Photoshop Mix on my Ipad and opened the image and used the Send to Photoshop. It renders it in PSD and whammo i can open it up in PS CC 2015. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got mine to work by importing into Lightroom 5, then opening in Photoshop. Go figure… I hope this helps someone else though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see this Lightroom open first and then launch PS.  I have free standing elements btw not the CC junk but it seems to be the same code and problem with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For large numbers of images, import them into Lightroom (version 5 and CC work) and then export them as JPGs again. The parsing problem exists in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop CC 2015.5, but not in Lightroom. Anybody at Adobe working on fixing the rest of your product line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as well - go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running into this issue for the past 2 months.  Tonight I opened the pictures in Paint first, chose "Save As", and for good measure also saved them as a .png.  They all, in both formats, now open in Photoshop.  I have no idea why that worked, but it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great- tfs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  Wish I knew what the issue is beause the file CAN be opened in apps such as Paint.  My two particular failures were on JPG files that came from a cell phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you this piece of information and trials from you helped me access my instaport photos in adobe photoshop. thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been struggling with this issue too. But now I just open the photo in a different software, crop the photo and the save again and it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, Google brought me here lol... No need to crop, just open in MS Paint then hit Save and it opens fine in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me and it's easier than the accepted solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe that worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that goes to the right and click "Export 1 Photo..."

Step 6:  When the window opens, click the "file type" from JPEG to TIFF.

Step 7:  After you change the file type, go to the bottom right of the window and click "Export".

Step 8:  Click on the location you would like to save the file, and click once again at the bottom right on "Export"

The file will appear in the folder that you selected.  I have opened files successfully in two different versions of Photoshop (2014 and later). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as in PAINT in windows. Did it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it works for me ,, thanks, i save as .PNG format btw .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

opening the image in paint will break the quality and resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly as well being a stupid lazy programming bug that has been around for years and unsolved by Adobe.  Pretty sad.  and they want us to upgrade to get more features when you can't even load so very simple and mundane jpgs that a 30 plus year old Microsoft Paint product can load and recognize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mitchief  wrote

opening the image in paint will break the quality and resolution.

I don't think anyone is advocating this as a desirable way to work.  it's just a workround when the choice is do it or no picture.

The real fix, as the above poster says, is fix the programming in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines