• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing the JPEG Data??

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving the error "Could not complete your request because of an problem parsing the JPEG data" when I try to open photo files in Elements editor (7.0)? I was able to open these files in Photoshop a few weeks ago and now I get an error. This is occurring for many of my files. How do I correct this? Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 168 Replies 168
New Here ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a quick fix and it worked. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My god that was incredibly simple and helpful, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. This works!!! Annoying that we need to do this but this is a quick fix if you are only working with a few images. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how. I don't know why, but all I can say is BRILLIANT!!! TY so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh it works thank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what I was going to say, found the solution on another site. This should definitely be marked as THE solution, since it's simple, quick and totally lossless (lossless rotate does not reprocess the image and does not change the EXIF data).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this same error,  the images were sent from a colleagues phone and I had to transfer them to my Windows 10 PC by using Dropbox.   I cannot delete them or anything else in Dropbox as I get an error that there is an invalid MS-DOSS problem.  How can I delete these files 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this yet another Windows 10 problem?  Even the JPEGS created on this machine are affected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I advise you to use some online image converters. That will be the best solution for this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 9.40.49 PM.png

This problem is really irritating, and it's existed for a LONG time now.
EVERYTHING besides Photoshop handles these files without complaint
on my MacBook Pro (El Capitan, CC subscription).

What I usually do is simple:

1) Open image in Apple's "Preview" (which of course has no problem).

2) Select all & copy.

3) Create new Photoshop document & paste.

Why the kluges? It obviously affects a huge number of people…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple. Cheers mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's October now and I'm still having the parsing jpeg problem on a bunch of stills sent to me by a client.  Obviously there's the various workrounds of opening each of them in pretty much any photo editor and re-saving in a different format but I do think this needs to be fixed.

FYI I have the same thing trying to take them straight into Premiere Pro which is their final destination so the fault extends through at least two Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found an amswer it worked for me as I was having the same problem what I did was click on the picture and clicked edit in paint and did nothing then clicked save as and changed the picture to a png file and it worked hope this helps ^~^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The open in paint and save to PNG does work. This is ridiculous that I have to do this but thank you for the work around.

Microsoft or Adobe or both need to address this issue. This isn't the only bug I deal with daily with CC. I am going back to CS5 constantly as I have many less bugs. Original post was May 2015, If my math is correct that was 1 YEAR AGO! No solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution

(more like a workaround)

Don't know what is the cause, but to solve it, simply open it with Paint and Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually way easier if you have a Mac. Open in preview and just export as a pdf then open it up. There may be a similar way on PC but I just tried the export to pdf on a Mac and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the REAL solution is for the program that I PAY FOR that is supposed to be the world class leader in editing and manipulation can just open the file that cheapo Paint that is free or every other program can open just fine???   WHY the interim step?  ITs stupid actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I JUST bought Photoshop Elements 2018 for my Microsoft Surface (Win10)...just installed it and getting exactly the same jpg parsing error when trying to open ANY jpg file on my machine...none of which are corrupted....I'm probably going to return it.  I didn't buy a new piece of "world class" software that requires work arounds out of the box!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have The Solution...

1. Firstly Open your Image In Paint..

2. Save Again ... ( Ctrl + S )...

3. Then Open PS and ( Ctrl + O )...

4. Your Image Open Successfully ..

Enjoy... !!

100% Working For this Problem ... (Tested )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT just a photoshop issue. I also have the same issue importing the photo into illustrator. What a bother! I went back to 2014 CC because 2015 would barely run, and now it is beginning to not work.....so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem, the jpg wouldn´t open in either photoshop or illustrator.

I used GIMP (free open source photo manipulation software) to open the files and export to jpg.

I have no trouble opening the new files in photoshop or illustrator now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

work arouind NOT a fix......only Adobe can FIX this issue.  THEIR issue since cheapo products like MS Paint can just pop them open and so can your GIMP program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT a solution, that is a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It's worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines