• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem reading the layer data. Composite data

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I solve this problem? I lost days of work... Please help.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 11.41.49 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Dear everyone who is having this problem. I've found a fix. It's pretty simple. This is an error thrown by having too many layers in one file. Sadly you don't know of this problem until you go to re-open the file. I thought I had lost weeks of work - then opened my file in a website I found ( https://www.photopea.com/ - deleted a folder that had tons of flattened layers (and unused layers) and then saved the file. Once I did that I was able to open the Ps file normally. Hope this helps someone

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi melvong,

What kind of layer is the affected layer you're getting the error on?

How many layers and layer groups are involved in the document you're working on?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash, Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what layer specifically the error is on because the file just doesn't open, it doesn't let me see the layers or anything.

I probably had 50 layers in total.

Thanks,

Mel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mel, Does the issue occurs on a different file. Please check and let us know,

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, It was just on one specific file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Akash Sharma the problem was only with that specific file. It seems it got corrupted all of the sudden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - one file with 9 artboards with about 20 layers each artboard. will not open on original machine or newer machine. Will have to start over - unless there is a miracle cure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would normally indicate file corruption. That usually happens when a drive is about to fail.

I'd back up everything ASAP - to a different drive, obviously - and keep a close eye on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uh oh, yes I better start backing everything up! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2017-11-02 17.28.56.png

I just had this same exact problem happen to me  This is the first time this has even happened in 20 years of owning Photoshop, which I guess is good.  However, how do I fix this and recover the file?

I didn't do anything different than I normally do. I closed out of a file I was working on to work in other applications. When I opened Photoshop back up, I received the same error as melvong.

My photoshop files had approximately 20 layers.

SYSTEM REPORT:

Photoshop CC 2018
MacOS High Sierra
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Thanks,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same answer. Photoshop messages usually mean exactly what they say.

Back up!

Keep a close eye on this, and if it happens again, you may have a failing hard drive or bad RAM. File corruption almost always boils down to one of those two, even though it's tempting to blame the application.

Remember that Photoshop files are typically large, and random corruption therefore more likely to appear here. That's just on purely statistical grounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is backed up to Dropbox, but that probably doesn't help much if a file gets corrupted everytime I open and save it.

This is the first file this has happened to.

Is there anyway to recover the file when this happens?

It wasn't long ago that I upgraded my OS to High Sierra and installed Adobe PS CC 2018. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Thanks,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to go into time machine and lose almost an hour of work.

I am going to confirm the problem is disk related. I was having hard drive issues at the time I was working on this file. The disk was filling up due to the size of the assets I downloaded to work from.

Check for disk issues, but your only solution is to go back to a version of the file that will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved! Thanks globaldog. I had no idea I could go back to previous file versions using my Dropbox account.

I went inside Photoshop, clicked FILE > OPEN.... I then browsed to my corrupt file on my computer and clicked, VERSION HISTORY and opened up a file version that was auto-saved a few minutes before the bad file.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear everyone who is having this problem. I've found a fix. It's pretty simple. This is an error thrown by having too many layers in one file. Sadly you don't know of this problem until you go to re-open the file. I thought I had lost weeks of work - then opened my file in a website I found ( https://www.photopea.com/ - deleted a folder that had tons of flattened layers (and unused layers) and then saved the file. Once I did that I was able to open the Ps file normally. Hope this helps someone and doesn't have to "start over" like I nearly did.

@Adobe - I recommend a  simple warning when saving a file out with too many layers. It seems all of these problems would be solved very easily with a standard alert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if your project is saved to Adobe CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue, even in 2020. But THANK YOU! This saved me from starting from scratch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tries tis website and it worked!
this saved me a three days worth of work that I thaught I'd lost, 3 hours before y client's deadline.
Thanls a million 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a clarification to everyone - this isn't about having too many layers, it's about having corrupt layers.

File corruption isn't something to be ignored. The first incident can be a random event, but usually it is an indication that bigger problems are about to come if you don't track down the source. And the source is nearly always hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stunning! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there this happens when i transfer a file to a usb or another computer .... i normally just resave the original file again and it comes right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried opening mine on Photopea, but unfortunately, the file is corrupted. It showed up like this:

Shane26402241ke68_0-1677208577503.png

I just repeated my process from scratch. That's it. Sad but I have to move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines