• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with color profile

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yesterday I was working on some layers and had the pleasure to discover that when I converted them to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 the colors got more vibrant. But today when I did the same it didn't happened. I believe I am doing nothing different and yet I don't get the same result. Can anyone help me achieve the same results?

Some pics:

FlatFlatVividVivid

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post more meaningful screenshots. 

What are the Edit > Color Settings? 

Do the original images have embedded profiles? 

Are you sure you converted or could you possibly have assigned the profile (just to make sure)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FYI, you cannot convert a layer in an image to another colour space, you'd have to convert the whole document. Is that what you meant? (Actually, it's best to not convert a layered document because the result may not be as expected, preferably convert after flattening the layers) 

Also - converting between RGB colour spaces only rarely causes a change in saturation - when it does it's a desaturation due to moving to a smaller colour space.

Here's a bit of background:

ProPhoto is a massive RGB colour space, sRGB a small one, if you convert from sRGB to ProPhoto the colour should not change at all.

If you convert from ProPhoto to sRGB to the colour may desaturate IF there were colours within ProPhoto beyond the gamut boundaries of sRGB. Colour is clipped.

As an example of saturation change, though, if you take an sRGB image and ASSIGN ProPhoto the colours go crazy saturated. 

If you take an ProPhoto image and ASSIGN sRGB the colours lose a lot of saturation. 

Are you sure did not ASSIGN a profile?

The ICC profile tells Photoshop how to imnterpret the colour numbers in the file

here is some reading on ICC profiles and how they work for you to provide accurate colour through the digital workflow: https://www.colourmanagement.net/advice/about-icc-colour-profiles/

We need those requested screenshots please - but maybe its too late if you cannot reproduce the symptoms.

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the saturation, some time ago I came accross this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/color-changes-when-saving-from-psd-to-jpeg/td-p/8590934?pag...

And I used the correct answer and it worked for me (i.e. my images got better when I converted to sRGB)

My color settings is now as follow:

colorsetting.png

"FYI, you cannot convert a layer in an image to another colour space, you'd have to convert the whole document. Is that what you meant?"

I'm not sure, but when I did before all the layers would merge, now it doesn't happen anymore.

"Do the original images have embedded profiles."

The images I use are iray renders from DAZ Studio, I believe my conversion is from Adobe RGB to sRGB.

I'm pretty sure I didn't ASSIGN a profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»I believe my conversion is from Adobe RGB to sRGB.«

Hardly.

Your Color Management Policies being set to »Off« is highly inadvisable – why did you choose these settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the screenshot. That's helpful.

Maybe this will help with understanding that situation?

The solution you linked to was about viewing images outside Photoshop in non-color managed applications. In that case it is valuable to convert to sRGB especially when dealing with images in the Pro Photo color space, although it would also apply to Adobe RGB images as both would appear desaturated when viewed without color management.

It's very possible (likely) that your application DAZ Studio does not embed an ICC colour profile.

Photoshop is able to warn when opening images without embedded profiles, but not when color management policies are set to OFF as yours are. You'll see that Missing Profiles - Ask when opening is unchecked. 

When an image without an embedded profile is opened into Photoshop a colour profile is "assumed" in your case this is RGB, as you have that set as the default.** 

This means that your converting this image to sRGB should show no change in appearance as sRGB is already being assumed. 

**If an image without an embedded ICC profile is opened into Photoshop and the appearance is incorrect, now's the time to assign a profile to fix the appearance. It'sone of the only times that assigning is the right thing to do.

IF you had an image in the Adobe RGB color space and with no embedded profile and opened it with your color setup in Photoshop (so that sRGB is assumed) then it would appear desaturated.

ASSIGNING Adobe RGB would fix that. 

If as a next step you converted to sRGB the appearance would be largely unchanged (only very saturated colours might be clipped). 

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it was helpfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines