Problem with keyboard shortcuts - randomly stop working.

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
Lately, I have a strange problem with photoshop. When working on some files randomly most of the shortcuts stop working - I can't change tool, resize brush with [ ] etc. I got windows error sound every time. Still, I can click tool from tool shelf and change brush size with Ctrl + alt with drag but it is annoying. For example today. Anyone had the same problem?

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What version of Photoshop and OS do you have, have you tried resetting the Tools

If that doesn't help try resetting Photoshop preferences

Reset Pref.jpg

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I have windows 10 64 home. My specs are : ryzen 2700x, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1060 6GB, 250GB Samsung 960 EVO PRO for catalog and system, SSD Samsung 850 for working files and WD HD for archives.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it's worth checking whether some keyboard shortcuts have been reassigned to another function.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were not. I was checking it. The problem is not that they don't work at all. They work to some point and then stop. I can work on file 20 minutes with no problem then I switch for example from the stamp to brush and that's it. Then for some time, they do not work at all. Sometimes they start to work again after switching tool, sometimes I can't use them to the very end of processing the image.
I was just talking to my friend and he has the same problem.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you any other application running that might be hijacking the shortcuts e.g. screen capture software ?

Dave

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. I try to keep applications number as low as I can. I have Qnap sync app, adobe app, dropbox and Eizo Color Navigator running next to photoshop, lightroom and browser. That's it.
EDIT:
I was trying to check if it is my main computer thing and it is not. When running PS on laptop I got the same behavior.
And I forgot - Photoshop is lates CC, build Adobe Photoshop: 20.0.3 20190130.r.57 2019/01/30: 1204598  x64

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not help. After resetting tools and preferences I had this problem like a minute ago. When I have created a mask, inverted it and wanted to paint something on it shortcuts just stopped working. I could change brush size from brush panel on the top, with ctrl, alt, RMB and drag I could change tool with tool icon but trying to use [] or shortcuts to change tools only gives me a windows beep and has no effect.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How To Use System Restore (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)

Go back to a date before this started. The manually created restore points work much better than the automatic ones. Also reset the cookies under privacy tab in most major web browsers.

Unfortunately Windows is very susceptible to unwanted software, and there are even many spoof Adobe flash update installers that are not from Adobe.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, so I can't make this step because I don't make a system restore points. I just make one - after the fresh install of the system. It was 2 weeks ago. But, if I remember it correctly, I had this problem before this Windows installation.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW - I have occasional shortcut issues, and I've narrowed it down to language and region settings as the most likely cause.

I have English Windows and English Photoshop, but Norwegian keyboard layout. Windows normally handles this (there are separate settings for language and keyboard) - but sometimes I see Windows reverting to English keyboard for whatever reason. This mixes all shortcuts up.

But it also happens sometimes that the shortcuts in Photoshop simply stop responding - without the Windows settings changed. I do suspect it's the same underlying issue, because I've never heard of any of our UK or US residents having these problems. For me, however, it's been consistent on every system I have laid my hands on (quite a lot) forever. The only thing they all have in common is this English app/OS - Norwegian keyboard configuration.

Strangely, in the latter case hitting ctrl-alt-shift-K always kickstarts everything back into normal operation. This opens the shortcuts dialog. That particular shortcut always works.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both polish keyboard leyout in windows and polish photoshop. I'll try the thing with ctrl+shift+alt+k next time. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag - that would certainly explain why I've never seen this happen with English OS and applications and a UK keyboard

Dave

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NONE of these have helped. Sometimes they would just stop working. And then all of a sudden they would come back for no apparent reason. WTF Adobe??? This doesn't happen on any other programs in Windows 10!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been an issue with my system for a little while now. Not sure when it started, I feel like it's been 6 months. The keybaord short cuts in Photoshop (I updated all adobe software on my system to newest versions) work for a while and then they stop. I'm running Catalina Macbook 2018 (10.15.7). I'm wondering if upgrading to Big Sur will fix it? My job's IT says we shouldn't upgrade yet. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines