• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Magic Wand

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m using the Magic Wand to make some selections. However, the wand will slect a little farther than it should. I tried lowering the tolerance, but even set to 0 it keeps on selecting a bit farther than the edges of the object I want to select.

Origaami Koi.psd al 312% (5, RGB_8) _ 06_02_2021 12_47_15 p. m..png

The selection is invading the other shades of color. I`ve also tried using the Quick Selection Tool, and it works, but I would still like to fix the Magic Wand.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RC_k 

What happens if you lower the tolerance to about 10 or 5 and Alt+Click with the Magic Wand to subtract the part you don't want? Or you might try the Polygonal Lasso tool with a series of clicks.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @jane-e 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and while it decreases the selection, it still remais outside the edges 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were selecting the dark red area, I would use the Pen tool with the options bar set to the Path mode, then convert it to a selection in the Paths panel. There is a learning curve. The other method is the Polygonal Lasso tool, in which you make a series of clicks.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/selecting-lasso-tools.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/drawing-pen-tools.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try un-checking anti-alias and lower tolerance more.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I un-checked anti-alias (I also tried by un-checking contiguous) and it still didn't work.

Origaami Koi.psd al 200% (4, RGB_8) _ 06_02_2021 07_01_25 p. m..png

I tried by checking the Sample All Layers, it worked to an extent. However, the object I want to select is in a different layer than the one I'm working on, so it only works if I hide the layer I'm painting on, thus slowing my workflow a lot.

😞

Is there any way to reset only the Magic Wand Tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The magic wand tool is a very old and crude tool. There are better ways to make selections. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Chuck says, experienced Photoshop users might never use the Magic Wand tool.  The Object Selection tool might be a good alternative.  drag a box around the area you want to select, and the tool does a very reasonable job of reading your mind.  You can build on your selection if need be, by holding down the Shift key and dragging another window. 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unless you are an Adobe engineer - I don't think you can fix the magic wand tool. It's old and tired, use the object selection tool and the quick selection tool.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines