Highlighted

Problem with moving/resizing selection with a mask

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent a lot of time looking for an answer to this. I often have a layer that has a mask and after masking need to move a selection or use Transform to resize parts of the layer. I thought that if the chain icon between the image and the mask was showing, if I selected part of the image and moved/resized it, that the image and mask components would both move together. If I resize, I want the mask to resize at the same time or I have to do it. Why does the mask act like a separate entity, even when it is linked to the image? The behaviour doesn't change whether the link is showing or not. Can I resize (Transform > Scale) both components? Can I select a masked selection and move image and mask components? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem with moving/resizing selection with a mask

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent a lot of time looking for an answer to this. I often have a layer that has a mask and after masking need to move a selection or use Transform to resize parts of the layer. I thought that if the chain icon between the image and the mask was showing, if I selected part of the image and moved/resized it, that the image and mask components would both move together. If I resize, I want the mask to resize at the same time or I have to do it. Why does the mask act like a separate entity, even when it is linked to the image? The behaviour doesn't change whether the link is showing or not. Can I resize (Transform > Scale) both components? Can I select a masked selection and move image and mask components? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select select the layers content if the layers content is the current target.  If the layer mask is the current target the selection is part of the layer mask. The link icon indicate the full layer and layer mask are linked if you transform either the other will also be transformed scaled, rotated, moved distorted whatever .  You can work on the layers content and you can work on the mask content independent with or without a selected. Selection are useful for protection.  Only the selected area cans be changed.  If you move the selection you leave a hole in the layers  content. in a mask the vacated ares would be filled with black.,

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop? Can you post some screenshot or even short video to demonstrate problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I've found that if I don't select anything and resize the scale using Transform, the mask/image moves together. However, if I select anything in the image and move it or select all and then Transform the scale, the mask/image separate (see screenshot) and it makes no difference whether the mask or the image is selected in the layers pane.Screenshot 2020-11-12 003235.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0