• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Remove the 8192px limit on Save for Web

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not allowed to save image with greater width than 8192px when saving for web. Seems like a silly arbitrary limit, imposed by Adobe. Please remove

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
111 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't name each frame, your right. But the composition name does come through. So you COULD create a 1 frame composition for every image, and even have them all at their correct size.
Setting all of that up may not be worth it unless you do lots of iterations though.

Sizing and positioning each would probably be the biggest pain. But once everything is set up, saving each time should be a breeze. Just select all in your bin, export to media encoder, hit render, get some coffee.

But you had a good idea with a script. If you set up layer comps for each item/group, then export layer comps to files. THEN create a simple action that selects the contents of a layer and crops, then saves. Run that action on all of the files, and you've just cropped to the size you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this below, and I think it would work. First, I would choose transparency rather than color, unless you need some of your image to be transparent. Color selections always have the opportunity to select half a pixel, so your size might be off by one pixel.

But basically, you could create a layer comp for each of your images. Yes, that's a LOT of layer comps. But that way you get names, and you don't even have to flatten anything.
You can then export layer comps to files, then crop your images with an action.

It would be a bit nicer if there was an "export groups to files" option. Layer comps are very nice because you can reuse the same parts over and over. But if you have all of your assets in groups, then you're just doubling your work of naming right?

But that way you get named files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for this!!! Such a ridiculous limit!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUR YEARS LATER AND THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE?! What an absolute joke, what exactly is the reason for limiting the size of "save for web".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because save for web is 20 years old and being replaced by File>Export>Export As

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, but unless I'm mistaken there is no way to export slices using Export As?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhh, just so it doesn't look like I'm crazy, someone had commented
Because save for web is 20 years old and being replaced by File>Export>Export As
but now seems to have deleted their post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2018, update Photoshop every time there is an update notification, and still a bug! However thanks a lot for your trick guys, I couldn't ever finish my easy task of just exporting slices without this thread! I tried exporting random things with Save For Web/JPEG, then closed the window & reopened it to export my target slices. It worked (if the whole canvas exceeded limit, maybe you can temporarily trim it down to be at the limit size, just to get back the 100% size, then recover it once it works!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir are a legend! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's Amazing of you Jordan, really helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why my photos are limited to 8192x. Still.

My D810's photos come out of the camera at 7360x4912.

The new Sony A7RII is 7952x5304 straight out of the camera.

Have you looked at what the new Canon is?

8600x5900.

This means your software is already behind the curve and it's only going to get worse.

Let's not even talk about the fact that Lightroom now allows us to combine our full size DNGs into panoramas, thereby creating significantly larger files.

Why then am I being limited within Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File>Export As the replacement for Save for Web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As has rounding problems. So you'll give it a dimension to export, but it'll add one pixel in one direction. Or you'll get a row of transparent pixels. And it also doesn't work at certain sizes without turning off graphics acceleration. 
The list is Longer than that, but those are the few that I remember off the top of my head. 
It seems a Lot like they started to replace it, but then decided to keep the old one in still as well because the new one is pretty much garbage. But someone probably pushed for it to be consistent with the asset exporter in illustrator. It's somewhat similar. 
Maybe that same person should be in charge of transforming in photoshop, and how sometimes you hold shift to keep proportions, and sometimes you hold it to break keep proportions.  Adobe is All over the place these days. Need a UX manager? Wait, that's not a question. You Need a new UX manager. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also last I checked Export As still doesn't let you save slices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully adobe will get it worked out since i hear save for web will be gone in the next photoshop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olá!

Ao salvar para web no photoshop, não consigo mais deixar a porcentagem em 100%, sendo que hoje mesmo por diversas vezes salvei em 100% uma imagem nas dimensões de 9000x1500px (6 imagens para carrossel no instagram de 1500x1500px cada). Alguém mais está tendo esse mesmo problema?

Adobe.png

Ficarei muito grato se alguém der esse help. Valeu!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The total image size in pixel dimensions can not exceed 8192 px width or height.

If it does, save for web will scale the image down to fit within those dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been trying to export a gif in photoshop for a while now. I am working with 14 frames, each containing an image 8192 x 8192 px each. I have tried reducing the file size, I have tried changing the dither and the colors, I have updated photoshop to 2020, and have tried exporting as gif, but keep getting error message "operation could not be completed." Also tried changing the files names to be more basic... What am I doing wrong??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for starters, your images are way too large for animated GIF.  And you're probably out of memory.

Restart computer.

Resize images to something more web friendly like 400px X 400px and then try it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately this does not work with multiple slice sfw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! The preview images come with slice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys
Since yesterday I have a problem with the option of " save for web".
First I'll describe my workflow: I'm downloading a png file from adobe XD, uploading it to Adobe Photoshop, slice it to several sections ( to get several files), pick "save for web" and save it as png-8/ png-32/ jpeg.
Until yesterday, everything worked just fine and then on my third file- I sliced it and enter to "save for web" and on the image size it's limited me to a smaller size, while my original file width was 1920px.
you can see here on my Behance project: the file was sliced with the width of 1920px before the problem started. and i tries couple of files (that works fine) and now is limited by size image.
I already chatted with the adobe support (for over an hour and a half!!!) and I felt like there no one listening and really understand the problem or wants to help. we try to download and install photoshop all again, restart the operating system and check and check the preferences --> performance ---> memory usage/ graphic processor setting.
Finally, he told me to reach the forum cause he can't help me (he wasn't trained for this!)
Again, I sliced before png/jpegs files without the limitation of "image size"' it was always on 100% and suddenly it's limiting me. I don't know what is the source of the problem and that's why I'm approaching you to please help me!!! i'm adding pics. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey again, Is there an Adobe expert here who can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was facing a similar issue a few days ago. Not sure if this is happening to you. Let me describe what I was doing:

I had a document that was 10800px wide. Apparently Photoshop has this limit of 8192px, so it was scalling to 75% or something like that.

Now, here's what was happening: even though I had 10 slices created by me (1080x1350) it was assuming I was exporting the whole document (10800px). Why? Well, because I was selecting all slices inside the Save For Web window. I was under the impression that I had to select them in order for it to export all of them. That's why it was assuming the whole document as one file. Once I only selected 1 slice and then under the Save options I picked "All User Slices", I was able to ge the 100% back.

Does it make sense to you and does it apply to what's happening to you? If you are selecting more than 1 slice inside the Save for Web window, make sure you only select 1.

Hope it helps somehow, because I was going crazy too

Votes

Translate

Translate