• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with .tif files and layers.

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open (and edit) a tif file which I know has layers (and had layers before), but for some reason opens up as if it's a regular JPEG (basically as a flattened image).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Once an image has been flattened and saved, the layers are gone and cannot be restored. Do you have a backup? Do you remember the last time you worked on it and what you were doing?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It was never saved. Many months ago I downloaded the same .tif file from an artist and it worked fine on an older version on photoshop on Windows 7. It had layers I can toggle of and on for the lighting, outline, coloring background etc.. that he made.

Now I got a new ssd, windows 10, the latest version of photoshop. I redownloaded the same thing from the artist because I want to edit the image. But just comes out as a flattened image (just a locked background layer). I was thinking maybe a setting or something in photoshop? Couldn't find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Do you still have the version of the file you downloaded several months ago? There is a possibility the artist flattened the file and posted a new version. What is the date that the file was saved, and can you ask the artist?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I even went back in my history and found the original download from when I first got it months ago in October and it's very well the same thing. It's from 2018, and it's the same thing. No layers in photoshop. It is 100 percent something happening on my part here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any script running in background? Go to File > Scripts > Script Events Manager and uncheck option in the top left corner: Enable Events to Run Scripts/Actions, just in case because you may not even know that event is running in the background.

enable events.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines