• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project a pattern without a background

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I am a concept film photographer and I'm looking to create some different patterns in Photoshop to project onto a backdrop. I'm wondering what the easiest way is to create a pattern that doesn't have a background that would be projected. For instance, I want to project a large rectangle onto a white backdrop to simulate a doorway, but I just want the door projected, not anything else like a black or white background

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your end file format PNG preserves transparency.

You could create your backdrop using layers with transparency and save out to that format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking back on your last part - transparency will still project white coming from a projector.

If you are trying to map and image to a specific area and not have light come from the projector, you should look into some of the projection mapping softwares on the market. It can create custom mapped areas for projected images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you understand the concept of light projection? 

You can project light (of different brightness, color, …) but you cannot project »black«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I'm not an expert in light projection lmao so ur saying that if I set everything I don't want to see as black then it will only project the parts I do want? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But of necessity that means the projected elements are lighter than the parts where nothing (black) is projected. 

What you described (door on white background) would seem to necessitate a different approach, namely projecting a whole lot of white with a dark rectangle (or whatever) for the door.

Whether that makes sense in the actual set-up is up to you to figure out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines