• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2018 Open Image hangs

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest version of Photoshop, I can open an image from Bridge into Camera Raw and perform edits as normal. However, if I then click the Open Image button in Camera Raw to open the image in Photoshop, the program hangs. In Task Manager, I can see that the program is running around levels of 28% of CPU. I cannot minimise PS, nor close it. The only way I can get out of it is to cancel the program in Task Manager.

I can open the image through Lightroom into PS.

I never had this problem in any earlier versions of PS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

I have found the solution!

In Preferences there are two areas where you can disable the GPU. I had previously tried disabling the GPU in the Photoshop preferences, but it had no effect - and I didn't really want to do that because I wanted the benefit of it in Photoshop. You can still leave the GPU enabled in the main Photoshop performance settings.

Go to Preferences>Camera Raw. At the bottom of that window there is a box headed Performance where you can enable/disable Graphics Processor. Disable

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the Creative Cloud desktop app to see if there's an update available for Camera RAW?

If that doesn't work, what operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the very latest version of Photoshop CC 2018.

I am running on Windows 10 Pro Creators Fall - again the very latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm: both Photoshop AND Camera RAW are the latest versions? Camera RAW is a separate update that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle, particularly if you update app by app as I tend to do (especially since Camera RAW is listed way at the bottom of the Apps tab).

I haven't heard of any particular problems with this update on Windows 10, but perhaps someone else has.

Assuming both apps are fully updated, I would recommend uninstalling them and reinstalling to make sure there wasn't any issue with applying the update the first time around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To repeat, both are the very latest versions. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled both, to no effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay. You only specified Photoshop. Since Camera RAW issues are usually related to an outdated version or system incompatibilities, I wanted to double check.

As I said, I am not aware of this being a known issue. It's possible another member of the community has a solution, but I think it's worthwhile at this point to get one-on-one technical troubleshooting via chat or phone (Contact Customer Care). If you do go that route and find a solution, perhaps you would be willing to update this discussion to potentially help others who might be experiencing a  similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing: in earlier versions of Photoshop, RAW would hang sometimes if the "Use Graphics Processor" button was checked under Photoshop Preferences > Camera Raw. I'm not sure whether that issue still exists with CC2018, but it might be worth going to that menu, unchecking the toggle and seeing if it resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that made no difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing same issue.
Updated PS, camera Raw, bridge.
Bridge > camera raw > open image works nomal
direct raw file opens in camera raw. "Open image" ... PS hangs. Have to force close with task manager. Tried reinstalling . Didn't help.
Also tried PS CC 2017 again. Eve there faced same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system and version are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the solution!

In Preferences there are two areas where you can disable the GPU. I had previously tried disabling the GPU in the Photoshop preferences, but it had no effect - and I didn't really want to do that because I wanted the benefit of it in Photoshop. You can still leave the GPU enabled in the main Photoshop performance settings.

Go to Preferences>Camera Raw. At the bottom of that window there is a box headed Performance where you can enable/disable Graphics Processor. Disable it. Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.. It worked...

surprising !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Thanks for sharing the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I found a work around yesterday by opening the raw (.CR2) image in bridge, then camera raw, and then saving the raw image as a Jpeg, closing bridge and then opening the jpg in PS. I have a large stack of images to work on, so thank you for speeding up my work flow (and showing me some settings in camera raw to be aware of)    ~Brooke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I have been working on this situation for more than five hours, and your tip finally solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem solved, thank you - great tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrific solution , it worked for me, thanks a lot!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had exact issue and it worked for me as well. Can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm kind of new here; Where is 'Preferences'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronb—

Preferences are under the "Edit" menu on Windows or the "Photoshop" menu on Mac:

preferences.png

The GPU toggle being discussed is under the "Camera Raw" option in the secondary pulldown menu that appears when you hover over "Preferences".

gpu.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and thanks.

Jens

Denmark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks - has been frustrating me for some time - now the files open straight away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice that disabling hardware acceleration fixes this.  It's not nice that I had to f\/ck around for an hour finding a fix to import a raw file on an application that has been broken for almost a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines