• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2018 Open Image hangs

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest version of Photoshop, I can open an image from Bridge into Camera Raw and perform edits as normal. However, if I then click the Open Image button in Camera Raw to open the image in Photoshop, the program hangs. In Task Manager, I can see that the program is running around levels of 28% of CPU. I cannot minimise PS, nor close it. The only way I can get out of it is to cancel the program in Task Manager.

I can open the image through Lightroom into PS.

I never had this problem in any earlier versions of PS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

I have found the solution!

In Preferences there are two areas where you can disable the GPU. I had previously tried disabling the GPU in the Photoshop preferences, but it had no effect - and I didn't really want to do that because I wanted the benefit of it in Photoshop. You can still leave the GPU enabled in the main Photoshop performance settings.

Go to Preferences>Camera Raw. At the bottom of that window there is a box headed Performance where you can enable/disable Graphics Processor. Disable

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. It happens whenever I take a take a PSD image back into Camera Raw (through Filter-->Camera Raw Filter) from within PS. I work on the image in ACR and when I hit "OK" PS immediately freezes (without showing the changes in the image I made in ACR) and I have to kill the program. This problem started after the upgrade from CC 2017 to 2018. The solution of unchecking "use graphics processor" in Bridge did not work; it was already unchecked. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I just found a solution that works for me. I disabled "use graphics processor" in PS (as well as in Bridge). Not a satisfying solution, since I want to use the GPU on my graphics card, but hopefully a fix will be forthcoming. Forgot to mention, I am using Windows 7 Professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't solve my problem.

t'I use the very latest version of Photoshop CC 2018.

I am running on Windows 10 Pro Creators Fall - again the very latest version.

I updated, reinstalled, adjusted the setting mentioned here, etc.

Problem now:

When I open a raw file in photoshop, it opens in Camera raw. When I open starting in Lightroom, it does not.

It used to work fine. Since my worklfow always starts in Lightroom, I'm not a happy lady!

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you unchecked the Use Graphics Processor box in Lightroom preferences too? If not, try that, which is how mine is set and it works OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you penderra. Yes I unchecked that option. It does not help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks unchecking the graphics pref worked for me to from lightroom to photoshop while opening as a smart object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling functions is not a solution. Damn [removed by ussnorway] programmers ruining everything with each new version. Hell, even the new Bridge began brake terribly with NO new functions added. Pidorsky photoshop began to freeze for 2 seconds after each closure of the file. PIDORY you, Adobe! Give me the ability to install a version of 2017, which is not so much buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in my computer: windows 10 home edition / photoshop cc2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahem... well...

While I can't get on board with the profiling or the insults, I understand being upset by a program that doesn't behave as anticipated. Sorry you're frustrated with CC2018. FYI: you do have the ability to install CC2017 instead (or any earlier version of Creative Cloud you wish). Instructions are here: Download and install Creative Cloud apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pahap33276237 This kind of comments should not be on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? To produce expensive programs that buggy just out of the blue, so it is impossible to work - is this normal? What the hell is that Adobe fingering on the GPU if you are not able to do stable work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was the offensive language, not the frustration.

You do realise that there are so, so many variables in every PC build that catering for all of them is an almost impossible task?

Most "Why can't [Insert Software company name here] just release software that works?" questions are the result of hardware and/or software environments that clash with the software. This is why it's best to use verified hardware that has been tested where possible, especially if the product is crucial to your income.

A number of times I've been frustrated only to discover it's other rogue software and/or hardware that is causing my problem and not the software. This is why a closed system like MAC can be an advantage: fewer variables. For others issues, I have to wait patiently for an acknowledged bug to be fixed.

If many other people have the same hardware/software environment as you, and the same issue, perhaps it's a bug.

By all means be frustrated, but perhaps try and nail down the problem and send a bug report to help identify if it's a real issue, for you and others in the community, would be more useful than simply complaining. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too!  well done and thanks.  Win10 latest version of PS CC 2018, Bridge and Camera Raw as indicated by Creative Cloud app. AMD Radeon HD 5700,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!  I have been working on this same problem of PSCC2018 not opening a photo and then locking up the problem for an alt+control+delete to end the task for 3 days with no luck.  YOU have saved the day.  I was trying to do campaign photos for my son and was stuck with Elements 15 just to get something.  Your solution is a miracle.  Many thanks...Frank in Eugene, OR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just signed up of PS 2018 last week and had the same problem as outlined here. After years with CS6, I was hoping for a seamless transition. Oh well. Anyway, thanks "penderra" for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too and the solution of turning off the GPU fro camera raw did not work from me. My machine is an i7-8700k, 32GB PC3000, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, and GTX 1080 ti. It takes about 30 seconds per image to open when I click Open Images in camera raw.

Annoyingly, I just upgraded from an i7 4790k and 16GB RAM. The images used to open up with 5 second delay on this system. Now it's 30 seconds an a better processor with more memory. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out this may have been due to a Windows update. My issue is resolved and images are opening up in about 12 second from ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was mistaken. It turns out the problem was due to  Acronis True Image 2018 Active Protection. Once I added Photoshop as a trusted app, the problem went away. I ended up having to use Process Explorer to find out what service was tying things up and it seems Acronis was scanning the images.

I verified the solution by testing with Acronis Active Protection on and off. I've had no problems since I added the exclusion to Acronis and turned active protection back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to open jpg files, Photoshop just crashes. I also tried turning the graphics card off and that did not work. Nor did using camera raw, I couldn't even open camera raw Photoshop just crashed again. The system I am using is a Dell Optiplex 3010 running Windows 7 Professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the addition taking the check mark out of the USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR in the Camera Raw preference.  This worked for me with PS CC 2018 crashing after editing a RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrific solution. Can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot solved same problem for me associated to PhotoShop CC 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines