• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2020 Project: 4000 layers 800 groups. Layer Comps=PS Too Slow, yet no Layer Comps = PS Super Fast

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photoshop 2020 PSD file with 4000 layers and 800 groups.

When I have zero Layer Comps, photoshop is lightning fast, but as soon as I add 2-3 Layer Comps, even while having Last Document State active, Photoshop becomes extremely slow, sluggish and unresponsive; every action takes 1-3 seconds to perform, it's annoying.

The only way to resolve the issue is to delete all layer comps which makes photoshop lightning fast again.

How can I retain and keep my layer comps, but somehow disable Layer Comp functionality temporarily to keep Photoshop lightning fast?  Only when Layer Comps exist is when my photoshop becomes dangerously slow.  I tried unticking each of the eye icons next to each layer comp, but photoshop was still slow. Only when I delete all the layer comps does Photoshop become lightning fast again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you can export layer comps: File --> Export --> Layer Comps | It exports each layer comp snapshot into it's own PSD file, so you can access them that way. This is a decent work around for now.  By exporting them, I at least have the snapshot of how things looked.

I can also switch to the layer comp I want and flatten the image, keeping that single as a reference of how things look.

I wonder if there is a way to disable layer comps so it doesn't slow down photoshop, but keep the layer comp snaphots in memory? That way you don't have to delete them or export them, but still have a fast unlaggy photoshop session open for your large PSD project; which contains thousands of layers and hundreds of groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don’t think I have had 4000 Layers in one file so far so I have not observed the issue myself; what have you done about Performance in general? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

What do you need the Layer Comps for? 

»Photoshop becomes extremely slow, sluggish and unresponsive; every action takes 1-3 seconds to perform«

What actions – anything at all or just pixel operations? 

Is there a notable difference between one, two and three Layer Comps? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines