• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2020 Saving file freezes and unable to close program

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest PS 2020 and while editing something from Lightroom Classic the file will be stuck while saving at any %. Obviously I can't close the file or the program while it's "saving" so I am forced to force close the program losing all my progress on the file.

Currently latest Photoshop 2020 and Lightroom Classic on a Macbook Pro 13" 2017.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me twice more today.

Can someone recommend a program that does everything that photoshop does, but will actually save my files without destroying them? I'm done with this photoshop. I don't know how much more time I can waste on this nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has now happened to me twice now resulting in missed deadlines and hours of work lost. Tech support gave me a work around fix but that didn’t fix anything.

Im wondering if those of you who have had this problem have Solid State Drives (SSD)? I had absolutely no problems with this prior to installing a SSD in my machine in May. My working files are usually 8-12 gigs and I had no issues with PS 20 until I upgraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue and do use SSD drives. However, I have worked for years with PS and SSD and have not had any problems.  It is only in the last 6-8 weeks that this has started with me. Very frustrating and makes me not want to use PS. My only workaround is to turn off my desktop and then restart - losing all work of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also lost a deadline to this over a year old bug. This is so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If PS isn't frozen, but just stuck on saving a file, try to Duplicate the file then save it to an external hard drive. Just worked for me and saved two files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue for 6-8 weeks. Very frustrating. Running Windows 10 Pro on a desktop with 24GB memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX950 graphics card, 8 processors 4K Mhz.Running PS 2020 21.2.3. I have OnOne Raw, but have used PS for so many years I do not want to switch. Hang seems to occur on save or save as. I do use Bridge and open the files in PS from Bridge. Not sure if any of this helps, but I hesitate to reinstall as I have not seen anyone out here that solved the issues doing that. I really hope this is not going unnoticed by Adobe and they fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can’t. I’ve tried this too, but once PS freezes in a save, that’s it. You can continue to work and build that file but it won’t save it. You can copy all the groups and layers to a new file, but it will not save it. I pulled the plug on PS 2020 and went back to 2019 and for the first time ever in 19 PS pulled the same shenanigans 2 weeks ago costing me 4 hours of work. (Before you say what my wife did, “why are you going 4 hours without saving?!?!?” I don’t. I save about every 30 minutes, but like I said, PS will allow you to keep working while the file is saving or frozen. If you don’t watch the save percentage to know that it froze up, you just keep on going…. for 4 hours until you realize it froze at some point along the way.)  Then you have to force quit PS and then it will not open back up until you do a complete computer shut down and restart.

I’d be interested to know how big y’all’s files are when PS crapped out on you.

With that said, here is my next theory. It’s a file size issue. I have very large files when this happens. in v2020 those files were around 12 gigs. This last time in v2019 the file size was about 20 gigs. After trashing unused layers and merging others to get the file back down to 14 gigs, she was humming along fine again. I’m wondering if the choke point for 2020 is 12-15 gigs and the choke point for 2019 is 20g. I’m planning on testing this theory this week some time. I’ll let you know what comes of it.

I too hope Adobe is paying attention to this. I fear they are not. I have received no response from them from any of the platforms I have contacted them through other than the tech support guy answering the phone who’s work around solution didn’t work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem constantly in the first half of the year, saving larger files to an external SSD on a Mac. Many many lost hours of work and frustration, and I even changed my workflow on a project to try and reduce the frequency. However, it has not happened to me in the past several months, using the same computer and the same hard drive, so I suspect the bug may have been fixed in the latest update. Either that or I'm getting lucky 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening regularly. C'mon Adobe we all pay WAY too much for this type of bs interfering with our work!!! *funny this got flagged for a bad word, which you made work properly NOW DO SOMETHING HELPFUL AND FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EEERRRRRRRGGG!!!!  Just happened again! Adobe, YOU HAVE GOT TO GET THIS UNDER CONTROL!!! I thought it was a file size issue but that doesn’t look to be the culprit as todays “save” freeze was on a 3 gig file.  I refuse to dumb down and convert my work flow to procreate, but how does Adobe expect us to work anxiety free when we never know when their product is going to shut us down?  It’s like walking out into a lake in 2 feet of water never knowing when the 30’ under water drop off is coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been update yet because mine wont allow me to save either. Luckily I have my backup file but this bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, they are still ignoring this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was doing the same thing and I was able to fix it by going to Photoshop -> Preferences -> General and then clicking the "Reset All Warning Dialogs" and "Reset Preferences On Quit" then quiting the application and re-opening it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for save getting stuck issue. Could you please update Photoshop to 22.5.1 version via Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and check if that helps to resolve this issue for you? To update Photoshop to 22.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am on the latest version - still won't save anything! Just hanging at 98%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I'm all updated and stuck on 41%. PLEASE FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys HAVE to get this under control and fixed! This has happened to me twice in the last 10 hours. You can't just force quit PS and start over either. You have to compleatly shut down the entire computer and reboot everything. close all other applications, shut down and start fresh. This has gone on way too long and we're baffled as to why it hasn't been fixed yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe! FIX THIS!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@matts74325289 are you still running Photoshop 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Because I have found that 2020 is the version that this happens the least in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this was resolved in newer versions. Can you try upgrading to current (you can choose to keep your 2020 install)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't update any further without buying a new computer. The latest version of PS won't run on Mojave and the last version that would run on Mojave froze worse than 2020.  A new computer brings up another sore subject….. Apple. Apple’s prices on the Mac pros are now so far out of reach for most buyers. To have the same power and computing specs I have on my upgraded 2011 I’d have to spend $14k on a new machine just so I can run photoshop.  Between Adobe and Apple, they have a lot users backed into a corner asking for our lunch money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@matts74325289 why a Mac Pro? I have a Mac Mini which cost under $1200 and runs current PS just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines