• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 21.2.1 workspace freeze and release after 5-15 min. + brush in mask not painting

Contributor ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(edit: i enclosed a spindump / analyse protocol)

we experience a freeze situation of PS 21.2.1 on 2 mac pro´s 2013 with osx 10.13.6 (+2 imacs in other offices)

its happening since PS version 21 i guess, with older versions PS 2017 or 2018 it never happened.

the freeze happens only, when using the hand tool and simply moving an image in the workspace OR when zooming in and out. no other triggers at all. it happens about 2-6 times per working day.

the PS workspace freezes, i cannot use any button or anything else, osx finder still works. i usually wait 5 min or max. 20min and after this time, the freeze is gone, and every action, i did in the freeze, with the mouse, is shown like in "time lapse", when the freeze releases.

we had same and longer freezes on all systems 10.12, 10.13, 10.14 in our offices in spring 2020, and with following updates of PS it was getting a bit better, but still happening occasionally.

actions, i took:

- i do reboots 5 times a day, i have latest intuos drivers installed. and it happens with mouse and wacom pen.

- in PS settings, i can set the graphicscard to "off" or to reg. usage, normal and heavy use, and we tried all options, it wont prevent the freeze, our RAM is used about 40GB from available 49GB RAM, for most 16bit images with layers (150Mio Pixel images, phase one) . scratch disc is correctly set to internal ssd, and there is always 250GB free space.

- in PS settings, i have switched off a row of things from beginning: tools>options: all scrolling improvements are off,

animated zoom is off since one year, swivel is off (dont know the english terms) , softening/antialiasing for guidelines is off, bezier-tool antialiasing / softening is off

- our RAM sizes ar at least 32GB up to 64 GB on mac pro 2013 + working on internal SSDs only

there seems to be a bug, sometimes, when using the white brush in a black mask, it wont paint - i know, blend mode of the brush is set to be regular and not to "screen" or other modes.

and the brush behaves like magnifying itself, on pressure. very weird. both happens same time (paint not working and brush magnifying itself.) when i quit PS, and start again, the bug is gone.

we experience this issue on different macs in our offices, lates PS version on osx 10.13.6

thanks for help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my Photoshop 21.2.1 and the new update 21.2.2. Photoshop freezes when I use the zoom in and out function when I trigger the zoom function with the shortcut spacebar and CMD. I have to shut down Photoshop to continue my work and this happens 4 times a day. Very annoying so Abobe pleace fiX the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi marlon,

i found a temporary solution to stop the freeze, it works only sometimes:

during the freeze / hang time, i go to utilities in finder, " activity monitor" ( in german lang.)

and i do a "spindump" several times, and i also do "analyze photoshop process" and same time i press different buttons in the frozen photoshop menues, repeatedly fast and wild! it appears to trigger the frozen photoshop and then it will release the freeze and repeat all pressed buttons.... then i can save my work and quit ps and reboot.

at least i can save my work with this workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.
I edit my DNGs from Lightroom in Photoshop (latest versions) and after some minutes it freezes the window I'm working on when panning with spacebar and Wacom pen. I then can still save my work and reopen it. When panning with the navigation panel I dont have any freeze problems and everything is fine, it just slows down my workflow.
Posted this some days ago : Zoom and drag problem after update 
Resetting the preferences does not work

Workaround for me is just not use the spacebar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Windows10Home64-bit/IntelCorei7-4810MQ CPU@2.80GHz/16GBRAM/NvidiaGeForceGTX880M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any fix yet ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Windows10Home64-bit/IntelCorei7-4810MQ CPU@2.80GHz/16GBRAM/NvidiaGeForceGTX880M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, partially, a workaround. but no real fix.

we are one step ahead:

with the latest PS updates from september 2020, and when i disable the 2 graphic-cards in my mac pro, it wont freeze anymore. i worked 2 weeks without freeze. but you know 🙂 working professionally without graphic cards is painful under heavy load and deadlines. in my homeoffice,  i use an imac and PS wont freeze with enabled graphic-card. maybe PS doesnt like the firepro graphic cards in the mac pro 2013. too old?

whatever, i prefer this solution in the moment over 10 freezes a day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines