PS CC crashes on load after Mac security update

New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the current version of PS CC on a Mac with 10.15.7. All was fine until the latest security update was applied. Now PS crashes on load every time. Other CC apps are OK. Here's the top of the error when loading, any ideas?

Process: Adobe Photoshop 2021 [10806]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Adobe Photoshop 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop 2021
Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
Version: 22.3.1 (22.3.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Adobe Photoshop 2021 [10806]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-05-02 21:32:47.561 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H1030)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 5.3 (18P4556)
Anonymous UUID: 396558EC-1980-1489-D803-A1B07E121CA0

Time Awake Since Boot: 4000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 12 GPU Sniffer Launcher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000004e0
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [10806]

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Same OS, same immediate crash after the update. I can install PS 2020 and it runs, but I need and teach 2021.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent 2 hours with Adobe Tech Support yesterday. Apparently it’s a known issue. I had to drop to 2020 as well. I think it’s related to the recent Apple security update, everything was fine until I applied it. I hope they fix it soon, I do photO restoration and depend on all those new features in 2021.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hunseder wrote:
I spent 2 hours with Adobe Tech Support yesterday. Apparently it’s a known issue. I had to drop to 2020 as well. I think it’s related to the recent Apple security update, everything was fine until I applied it. I hope they fix it soon, I do photO restoration and depend on all those new features in 2021.

Was Adobe Tech Support specific as to what the problem was with the security update? After seeing reports around the web that Apple Security Update 2021-002 broke OpenCL, I decided to try turning off OpenCL in Photoshop, and now Photoshop 2021 works again.

If you are wondering how I was able to change a Photoshop preference when it won’t finish launching, I also found that Photoshop is able to start completely only the first time after a restart. So I restarted the Mac, which allowed me to start Photoshop once, and during that session I turned off OpenCL.

Photoshop-22-Preferences-Performance.jpg

But I’m not sure if this is the real fix that works for everybody. Does this fix the problem on your Mac?

If the breaking of OpenCL by the Apple Security Update is the cause of the Photoshop crash, then the permanent fix might have to come from Apple, not Adobe. Because right now this bug is also crashing other Mac image editors that use OpenCL, such as Acorn and Retrobatch.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, Photoshop doesn't launch under any circumstances, right after restart or no.

I suppose one could install 2020, change prefs, then install 2021 with the import prefs from previous versions option selected...

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this method and I was able to relaunch Photoshop after closing the app, OSX 10.15.7
Thanks for the advice!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried my own suggestion and it failed. Now, I'm hoping Apple releases an update to their update soon.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked yesterday and then it failed today, i think i need to roll back to an earlier version of photoshop and turn off auto-update as well.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines