Highlighted

PS file not saving

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PSD open that I have been continuously working in, but it says that it's Saving 0%. I don't want to Force Quit as I will lose the changes.

I can still export and save to web etc and I can continue working in the file and editing it and adding to it etc, but I just can't save the file.

A message keeps appearing saying 'Could not complete the Save command because the document is currently being saved in the background. Please try the operation again after the save has been completed.'

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PS file not saving

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PSD open that I have been continuously working in, but it says that it's Saving 0%. I don't want to Force Quit as I will lose the changes.

I can still export and save to web etc and I can continue working in the file and editing it and adding to it etc, but I just can't save the file.

A message keeps appearing saying 'Could not complete the Save command because the document is currently being saved in the background. Please try the operation again after the save has been completed.'

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the folder that the document is being saved into.  Try to rename the folder see if it is locked.  Also you wrote you can still edit the Document.  Try duplicating the document and save the duplicate some other place.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for your response. I have spoken to Apple and it seems that a number of people have the same problem = PS 2020 Freezes mid-save when saving to desktop or external HD on CatalinaOS. The workaround is to erase the harddrive completely and the go back to using OS Mojave and then Photoshop will work as normal.

HOWEVER, before I do this can you suggest how I save the file without losing my changes? Like I said the file is still trying to save and I can't 'save as' as you suggested as it still thinks its trying to save in the background. Any suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is the nuclear solution. I am surprised you got this advice from Apple. They usually place the blame on the software writer.

As for saving your currently opened file I would try the advice given above by JJMack. Duplicate the Document and then save that duplicate to some other folder.

Be advised that formatting your drive will Erase/Delete all data on it. So before you take that step I suggest you make a backup of all your Work, important, files along with anything that is in the Downloads folder. Save it all to an External drive. Do not count on Time Machine or whatever other backup software you might use as that probably has already made a backup of your Catalina OS install and using it to restore your system would put you back where you presently are.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are blaming Adobe (photoshop) as the problem is with their software - but they have suggested this course of action as a work around until Photoshop sort out the glitches.

I am saving all my work to an external HD.

How do I do a duplicate the document? As far as I am aware there are only Save & Save As in Photoshop and I can't choose either of these whilst the document is currently being saved in the background. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this with a Google search,. duplicate any document in PS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hrtC0NXnus

Very handy. If you don't learn somnething new everyday you're probably dead already.

Hope it works for you.

How To Duplicate Files in Adobe Photoshop CC: Working on a big file with a lot of layers and want to duplicate it or copy to a new tab? Go To Edit...Duplicat...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's brilliant - thanks 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are unable to save your file in Adobe Photoshop as anything other than a PSD, TIFF, or RAW format file, the file is too large for any other type of format. To reduce file size, use the Save for Web function:

1. From the File menu, select Save for Web.
  2. In the right panel, under "Settings", choose your file type (GIF, JPEG, or PNG) and compression settings.
  3. Click Save.
  4. In the "Save Optimized As" window, choose a filename and location for the image. This will save a copy of the image based on your specified settings.
  5. If you intend to use the image again later, save it as a PSD file. This file type will save your compression settings.

If that does not work, reduce the image size or resolution. Once you have reduced the file enough, the option to save in other formats (e.g., GIF or JPEG) will be available again.

For More Information Visit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, I'm truly grateful! Been fighting with Photoshop for 2 hours, tried changing preferences, deleting layers and could not find the bloody error. By going to Image/Duplicate I could finally save my .PSD work. Phew! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me be clear - this is a Catalina issue not Photoshop.

Here are some things you can try:

1. Catalina Security - make sure Photoshop is enabled in apple sys prefs/security and privacy/- it should be in the list and checked.

2. Save to your local HD. Catalina has put more restrictions on saving to an external or network shared drive.

If you do have an external you need to check it's formatting and make sure it is Mac (FAT) formatted and not Windows (NTFS).

3. If you are working on a network drive - save local then copy over.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Apple are calling back so I will tell them what you said (as I am not that tech savvy to undertake your suggestions). I'm unclear whether it is a Catalina issue you or a PS issue as there seem to be other people facing the same problem. Here's an example:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ps-2020-freezes-mid-save-when-saving-to-exter...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: the problem does indeed lie with the newest version of Photoshop. They are currently trying to resolve the problem. The issue for me was that I was trying to save my files onto an external HD that was Ex-Fat and the latest version of PS doesn't like this. I had to erase the external HD and save it as Mac OS (extended) Journaled instead. Hope that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most all program use the OS for saving files to a drive. So it is not PS that is sending the file to the external. PS is asking the OS to Please save this file to this Location. Then the OS does it. In this case Catalina has problems with exFAT formatted drives.

But as far as Apple is concerned it is an Adobe problem as Apple can do no wrong. Don't drink their coolaid, Drink ours. Think Different, Think like us.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol - will do

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines