• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS for MAC does not open JPG files. Yet, they are fine on PS under Windows.

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a MAC MINI running OS X Catalina 10.15.6. I am using Adobe Photoshops CC 2020 v21.2.1 Raw Camera shows is Up to date.

I am trying to open some jpg files received from a client. I receive the following error:

Could not open filename.jpg because jpeg marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete).

I tried to open the same images on PS under Windows and they are open perfectly. Error free. I tried to save an image as jeg, tiff, png. PS unders OS X Catalina refuses to open them.

They cannot even be imported in InDesign unders OS X Catalina.

Any solution?

Regards,

Sebastian

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the file for testing? 

Does the jpg open in Photoshop directly or via the ACR-dialog? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is set to open directly. Attached is the image.https://www.dropbox.com/s/glowb4zl37encew/31%20Waruda%20Place.jpg?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file opened fine for me. I'm on Catalina 10.15.5 with PS 21.2.1. Try resetting the preferences in Photoshop. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opens without problem for me, too (21.2.1 on MacOS 10.15.4). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

where were these problem Jpegs created?

Have you tried opening and resaving one of these problem files in Photoshop / Windows - then opening again in Photoshop on your mac? Could the files be damaged somehow or out of specification.

Is it happening if you create and save a Jpeg in Photoshop on your mac

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried to open each jpg file on my Windows computer and save them as JPEG, PNG, TIFF. No matter the extension PS on MAC does not open them.

However, I suspect that might be related to Apple OS X Catalina's last update. Since then, I am experiencing a lot of issues:

1. Suddenly System Preferences is blocking my Bitdefender AV to install extensions. I uninstalled Bitdefender AV though I pay for it.

2. After uninstalling Bitdefender, the System Preferences block Dropbox to install extensions. I do not intend to uninstall Dropbox.

3. And the cherish on top the Adobe InDesign does not open files I've created two days ago. Adobe Acrobat does not open PDF files I generated days ago. Adobe Photoshop refuses to open any kind of image. I did not try to see whether Adobe Illustrator is working anymore.

So, thank you for your support. I will have to contact Apple support and most probably reinstall OS X.

Sincerely,

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of the answers solved my issue. It turned out it was related to OS X Catalina. I reinstalled OS X and now everything is working just fine.

Thank you for your time and support.

Regards,

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines