Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ps hangs at 99% when saving TIFF files back to LR

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've see many mac users reporting the issue but only a handful of Windows related posts with no solution available. 

Ever since Ps 2020 the file saving has acted up. It gets up to 99% very swiftly but then, it will just sit there for good 10-20 seconds before completing. It was very swift up to the version 2019 and then this. I wa hoping the 2021 version would sort it, but that didn't happen. It can be quite frustrating when batch editing...

I will add that I'm saving a flattened file back to Lightroom. I'm also running a NVME system drive with a 500GB SSD setup as scratch disk for PS (completely empty).

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you're saving directly to an external drive. If you are, don't. Always save locally, then copy/move the files over. This is exactly the kind of problem you can get. It's as much the operating system as Photoshop.

And just to be clear, so that you understand better what's going on: you are not saving to Lightroom. Nothing is ever "in" Lightroom. You are simply saving to disk; a certain folder/location on your disk system. Photoshop doesn't do anything differently than it always does, it just saves the result back to the folder the image originally came from.

The Lightroom catalog is just a record of where the file is, and a list of edits. It doesn't contain the photo. The reason it immediately appears in Lightroom, is because a background script tracks the file throughout the process, and adds it to the Lightroom catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D Fosse,

thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, I am not saving it to an external drive (although I do keep one with back up files on it). I am saving it to an internal drive, archiving everything manually later. My setup hasn't changed, so what you're saying wouldn't explain why the issue would only appear in 2020 onwards, but everything worked fine in 2019 and before.

Apreciate your explanation of Lightroom, I am quite aware how the software works and its relationship with Ps, having written scripts for it myself in the past. Nevertheless, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok. This happens a lot on Mac with exFAT formatted external drives, but very rarely reported on Windows. I'd still look at how the disk is formatted, and check under Disk Management if anything sticks out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines