• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS loses layers in PSD import

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another frightening behavior as of today... I can not import any PSD's without losing the layers in the doc. YET, if I click on the PSD without importing, it opens in PS and all the work is there.  I have posted earlier that I lost a lot of work after this last update, psd's did not have the work in them - one layer.  I am trying to get as much back from the backup and just noticed this wacho behavior.  Anyone else?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you importing the PSDs? Is there any chance they are coming in as Smart Objects? If so, double-click the icon in the Layers panel to open the SO and see the layers, then close the PSB to return to the Photoshop document. 

Show your Layers panel if you are not sure.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking the psd's that I want from a backup since after the last update this week they are corrupted ...there are NO LAYERS! The backups I am trying to use will not open as a psd if I drag them into the folder that I want to use, and then have LR sync the folder. The psd is there on sync, but, when I try to open it in PS, the layers are gone, it is simply one layer and not a smart object.  I tried just using the import on the restored psd's and again no layers and no smart object.  However, if I just click on the psd after restoring from the backup, it will open in PS and is ok!!!! This is totally off.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear what you mean by "import". Photoshop opens files, it doesn't import them.

As Jane suggests, you must mean "Place", in which case you get a smart object. Open the smart object, and it's all there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion, I am so aggreavatd with this over the loss of work and time... I was trying to import them into LR, not PS, my bad.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom (as primarily a raw processor) has no layer support whatsoever, never had. If you work with RGB files in Lightroom, you have to make allowances for this in your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that I know. I use LR as my catalog and minor adjustments - everything else in done in PS. The  psd's I want in the same folder as the images that I used to build the psd.  I have to snyc the folder so that LR knows of the file.  It shows as a psd, but opening it in PS once LR has tangled with it, it does not have layers or a smart object. For whatever reason, I now can not just drop a psd into a folder and sync it in LR .  I have to  "open" the psd in  PS  first and navigate to the folder where I want to save it.   If I just double click the psd in the folder that the backup restored it to, again, it will open as a psd and all the work is there.  This has never happened before this last release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I mean by "making allowances". Lightroom doesn'r remove the layers, it just can't read them. It reads the flattened composite instead. If you "open original" from Lightroom, the layers will be there - but without any Lightroom adjustments.

Personally I keep Lr and PS completely separate. I use Lightroom for my raw files, and Photoshop/Bridge/third-party DAM for my RGB masters. Too much potential conflict and cross-purposes when bringing RGB files into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I know is that after this last update this week, my psd's did not have any work in them, I know that they are not editable in LR. Since there was a new cat generated something seems to have gone  screwy with this cat conversion.  Thankfully I backup and more so before updates.  Just a lot of wasted time, since anything I want I have to restore.  Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines