• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS saves two formats at the same time?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use photoshop cc recently updated For the first time today I have found that there are 2 types of file visibilty formats when saving a tif file   1)  a traditional icon of the image as saved  on a second version of the same image(both flattened) the color detail is missing

this is a new phenoma  Does anyonw have an answer to this

thnx

Roger

[ title changed by moderator ]

[ private informations removed by moderator for security reasons ]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO there is rarely a need to save a PSD file as a TIFF – TIFFs file are very large, the quality improvement over JPGs is imperceptible, and compared with an uncompressed JPGs and they have limited use. Unlike TIFFs, JPGs can be used in all applications, so distribution to others works in all applications, the format will be accepted by photo bureaux, and they can be used in websites. There are features of TIFF that might be used by some, but not for the general user.

Keep images as native PSD files (in RGB color mode) for placing in some applications, such as InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens to me. I also get rid of this. Plz, can anyone help us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is as it should be. The reason is the limitations in the jpeg file format specification.

You have saved a layered file as jpeg - but the jpeg specification does not support layers. So it has to be a copy.

The original layered file remains as the jpeg copy is saved. The jpeg cannot replace the tiff because it cannot contain all the properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag – do you use TIFFs for your high quality work?

Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I keep all my masters PSD. For use in Adobe applications exclusively, sticking to native formats is probably the safest choice. But TIFF should work equally well, AFAIK it supports everything (except it may be a little limited in InDesign).

But jpeg is a different kind of animal. It's for a whole other purpose, and it basically doesn't support anything. The minute you start doing something to an image in Photoshop, it's outside the jpeg file format specification. Not to mention the compression. So it's completely out of the question as a working format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well there you have it OP, an answer to your original question and a range of views / issues on file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines