• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS2021 Freezing - associated with use of Graphic Processor?

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having upgraded to PS2021, I experienced frequent freezes after going into and out of NIK plug Ins. Once re-imported back in to PS, all tools freeze and the only option is to close PS.

I have been chatting to variousl Adobe Agents using the Chat Facility this morning. I was advised to 1) ensure my Windows 10 was up to date, 2) ensure my NVIDIA GeForce driver was up to date. All of this is now up to date BUT crashes still occur if Graphic Processor in Preferences>Performance is switched on.

Does this mean that PS2021 has stopped working with Graphics Processr turned on ? I'm not happy! Anyone else experiencing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now been told that I need to upgrade my GeForce graphic card? I'm not happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"crashes still occur if Graphic Processor in Preferences>Performance is switched on"

That is a very reliable indicator of a buggy video driver. Many bugs can go unfixed for several driver versions. And a new Photoshop version may expose latent bugs because of new demands on the driver.

One thing you can do, is check whether you're running the "game ready" version or the "studio" version of the driver. You don't want the first. Those drivers are made for gamers and Photoshop is way down on the list. The studio driver should be more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have just installed the latest version of the Studio driver (I did have the gane version installed previously. However, probels persist unless I uncheck Graphic Processor option. What else can I do do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.  My desktop Windows PC works fine with Photoshop 22.0 except when I add a Nik collection filter to a smart layer.  I then get the freezing of the screen.  I have the latest version of the Nik Collection.  DxO say the Nik Collection it is not yet compatible with Photoshop 22.0 and they are working on a fix to make it compatible.  I have reverted to an earlier version of Photoshop and will take another look at PS 22.0 once the Nik Collection fix comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I am not alone then. I too have now had to revert to earlier version of Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I have now had 3 phone calls with Adobe Engineers. None could solve the issue. They basically now say this is a Nik issue. Given I didn't have the issue before PS was updated I don't agree but they have now closed my ticket. Try running with Graphics turned off in PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed latest version of the Nik Collection - 3.3.  If I apply a Nik Collection filter to a smart layer, the problem with the screen freezing with the graphic processor turned on in Photoshop (22.0.1) is still there.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB with the latest Geforce Studio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I had intended to purchase the new Nik Collection and have been using the Trial Version. PS still crashes even after the very latest bug fix of PS and the updated version of Nik this week if Graphics Card is ticked on. System is OK with Graphics ticked off. Consquently, there is no advantage to paying for Nik, I have unistalled the DXO trial version and am using my old free version with Graphics ticked odd (in Pfmce tab)-works ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lots more info here

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-22-canvas-is-not-updating-with-dxo-...

Not clear if it is an Adobe problem or a DxO one.  I have opened a ticket with DxO, but they must know about this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines