• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD corrupting files

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop version 22.41 and I have to work from windows to a mac. I have an external drive that is configured to work on both devices. 

I had at least  3 photoshop files that have been corrupted and I can't open them. What's going on?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recomendation is always to save to a local drive and copy to an external drive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

A bad connection on an external drive can cause corruption that you don't see until you try and open the file

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an external drive that is configured to work on both devices.

By @defaultgc4nz649rprx

That in itself is a problem because that means it is exFAT-formatted. But the exFAT file system really hasn't worked well in later versions of MacOS, and the general advice is to avoid it in favor of native file systems (HFS+ and APFS).

As a very minimum precaution, never work directly to/from the external drive (from either OS). Always work to local drive, then copy over.

Another often overlooked cause of corruption is loose cables and connectors. It only takes a little accidental bump to break connection for a microsecond. Be very careful to not touch the drive when any read or write is going on. This isn't a problem for hard-wired internal drives, but there's a lot of wear and tear with external drive cables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines