Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD Files in Bridge are opening in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

When I try to open a .psd file in Bridge it instead opens in After Effects. The default file setting in Bridge for psd files is set to Photoshop 2019 CC and the default file setting in Windows is set to Photoshop as well. If I right-click and tell it to open in Photoshop that does work. So, something broke with the last update I think -- This most certainly used to work just fine.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

I have the latest Adobe CC programs and Windows 10 (updated). Thanks much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Hey guys, found a temp solution. Disable AfterEffects 2019 startup script in Bridge Prefs in Startup Scripts section.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Hi All,

We have released new version of Adobe After effects (16.1.1 Build 4) to fix the above issue.
It is available to install via Adobe Creative Cloud application. Please let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok did a reset in Bridge then in general the second box has too be checked double clicks edit then when it open click on open image and it goes to PS

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -- I'm not sure what you mean by the second step. Which second box in General? The first check box is "double-click edits camera raw settings in bridge" and the second checkbox is "ctrl+click opens the loupe when previewing or reviewing." I can't find any setting like the one you describe.

I did do the reset for file associations (I actually did that before) and the psd files show quite clearly with PS as the default application. And yet, they still open instead in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you have it right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

That didn't work -- I tried checking the second box in general, as you said, double clicked a psd file and it still opened in After Effects. As far as I can tell the file association is set correctly; the icon for psd files is Photoshop CC. So, I have no idea why they should be opening in After Effects instead.

Any other ideas? Or am I totally missing something?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s how I got it to work so I could finish doing my editing: I uninstalled after effects and then I uninstalled  bridge. Then I reinstalled bridge and I told it not to use existing preferences. Now it works with Photoshop. And I did not reinstall after effects. When I need it I’ll put it back on. It’s not a really fix but it will get you through.

Good one Adobe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't see the correct answer as working, those checkboxes dont seem to have any relation to the problem and still dont fix it.  Have also reset my associations but this still occurs.  How do these updates even get through testing, is there any testing?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME THING HERE. I was working in Bridge and Photoshop editing real estate photos. Then I took a short break but noticed that there were CC updates. Photoshop was not one of them, so I knew I could safely update. HA. Now that the update is over and I rebooted, all my PSD's in Bridge fire up After Effects even after doing a reset to file associations. EVERY SINGLE UPDATE, ADOBE INTRODUCES A NEW DAMAGING BUG IN THEIR CODE, and I pay $57 a month for the luxury for their inadequate programmers to mess things up. How about Print preview? They destroyed that, wouldn't work and took TWO YEARS to fix. And this was something that worked for 25 years. They busted the Polygonal Lasso tool a few months back. That's not fixed yet. I wish I knew why the level of skill in the development department has dropped to kindergarten levels, obviously no one in that department has a clue anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. There seem to be tonnes of bugs the last couple years in all the major apps. And besides the bugs, they've changed a lot of little things so that I have to retrain my brain for things I've been doing for twenty years. It's like trying to use Microsoft Word whose interface seems to get reorganized with every release (so you never know where the hell things are). Frustrating and annoying. I've probably had the most/worst problems with Bridge, which I have grown to dislike intensely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same, and with all .eps files open in After Effect aswell... Crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update of Camera Raw CC & After Effects CC yesterday I have the same issue.  Every type of file is opening After Effects... Be it a Word, Indesign, XL file, it always try to open it through After Effects .... grrrr !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. The solution of wiliam doesnt work. Does anybody have another idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here

Everything opens in Adobe after  FX from Bridge. Nothing worked. reset/install/uninstall

Adobe please fix the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not solved yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, found a temp solution. Disable AfterEffects 2019 startup script in Bridge Prefs in Startup Scripts section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude dude dude

You my friend

you are a GENIUS. works like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works!
thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thanks -- I disabled After FX in Bridge startup and now it works as it should. Thanks much -- We all certainly appreciate it!

And hey -- Adobe, if you're watching this thread: Fix this issue and stop breaking your products! Test this stuff before updating. What's wrong with you? Before moving code into production you test it first. You really should know better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ClusterX- You ARE a steelie eyed missile man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ClusterX is the real hero here. Actualy temp solution. Permanent solution Adobe: Stop using the gaming industry as a model for your debugging. Fixing bugs after release hurts productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks bud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work, ClusterX. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! For now it will work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bravo!

Thanks ClusterX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines