• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.PSD Files showing as images on Desktop

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before all the updates .psd files used to save as a large blue file. However, now they are saving on Windows 10, as images. So if I browser a folder with .png, .jpeg and .psd they all appear the same as images. How can I make .psd file appear as large blue icons again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the File Explorer and go to the View tab.

Click on Options, and choose Change folder and search options.

In the View tab of the Folder options dialog, check Always show icons, never thumbnails.

image_2021-06-04_090315.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this has returned the blue .psd icons however all image previews have now disappeared and all image files simply have the same placeholder image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you save .PSD file with max compatibility and have an explorer add on to display thumbnails for PSD files?

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have decided to use image previews but this is definitely a step backwards. Inside folders its okay and you can see the filetype extension but on the Desktop itself if the filename is long you can't see the filetype extension!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually JJ, I'm surprised. For years Windows would not display PSD and PSB thumbnails. You did have to buy an add-on, FPV or Ardfry Codec. I removed both , restarted W10 and cleared the thumbnail cache. and Windows is now displaying them natively.

I know some don't like it, but others need the visual cues only thumbs can provide at the Desktop/Explorer level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I installed FPV Codec Pac years ago and have not uninstalled it. I may have also installed Microsoft Camera codec package.   My system seem to be working.  My father thought me years  ago if it ant broke don't fix it.  If something is not working I will uninstall  it.

image.png

Does not do PSDT  does native windows?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. I'm just glad Microsoft and Adobe finally shook hands on this issue.

Can't say for sure. I don't have a psdt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that all my .PDF files are being displayed as thumbnails now on my Desktop. Is this normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to decide whether you want image previews or icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Bridge - I promise it will make your life so much easier and you will love it. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for Bridge. The beauty of it is that once can invoke Windows Explorer if one needs to right in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used Bridge. Can you provide me with some kind of guide how to get started?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download and install the latest Bridge CC from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Youtube tutorials courtesy of LiveLink training.

https://youtu.be/7sg0Jp-feKY

https://youtu.be/qiD7cJcWYIg

From there, search YT for "adobe bridge livelink" to see what you want to learn next about Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been promising to do some Bridge tutorials for years and just haven't done it. It's really not complicated, the more you use it the more features you will discover. I did a quick search and don't recognize the names on YouTube so I'm hesitant to recommend anything specific. There are some older videos on LinkedIN Learning. Not much has changed over the years, so older tutuorials are still useful. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Melissa said, it's pretty straightforward on its surface. If all you wanted to do was use it as a file browser, you can do that. But it also has integration with Camera Raw and (naturally) Photoshop files visually. It even lets you preview video and audio without leaving its interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is a one year old post. But I'm dealing with this now and couldn't find a satisfying answer either.

The only thing I could find that helped me is:

- Open Windows Explorer (or any folder will do)

- Go the the View menu at the top

- Check "File name extentions"

This won't take away both image files and PSD files showing as thumbnails, but it will at least add at the end of the file name ".jpg" or ".psd"...so you can have a quicker way to tell the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines