• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD files won't overwrite - they add numbered file extensions instead.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving PSD files, PS won't overwrite. It creates numbered filename extensions. E.g. "FileName-1.psd" then next time I hit Cmd+S it will save "FileName-2.psd" etc (without opening any windows or dialog boxes - just appears to be a normal overwrite). But now the folder the file is in has 9 versions from each time I saved the file in a 1 hour timespan. Today I had to scroll through to find version 9. Trashed the other 8. MacBook Air on Catalina with all latest updates. I store all said files on Mac's iCloud. Incidentally this problem began exactly when another issue began... I now cannot directly open any PSD files from within Photoshop. Have to go to Finder then "Open With..." to bring them up in PS. Suggestions for either issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a Batch Processor like Image Processor Script it it programmed  to only save new files so it will not destroy old files. It add a sequence number to the document name to make a unique new File name.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what "Batch Processor like Image Processor Script" means? I haven't changed anything and have been using PS for years. In the past I could work on a file, Save As to my iCloud drive. Then I could reopen and work on the single PSD file and just Cmd+Save to save changes. They'd save to the original file I opened. Now clicking on Cmd+S creates Original-File-Name-2 or 3, etc. Wondering if a setting somewhere changed when I updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not use Apple's iCloud storage.  I have no problem saving over PSD on my system to network shares and local storage.  perhaps Apple added versioning or an option to iCloud to save versions.

See if Photoshop save over on your local files system disk or creates versions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines