• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

psd to dxf

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export out of cs4 in dxf format. what would be the best method?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DXF files are vector-based, so there can be no way of exporting any data directly from PS and that very much settles that... Sorry, but you're really looking in the completely wrong place and it sounds like you are just blindly trying to fulfill someone elses whim without actually understanding the technicalities involved or the specifics of the file format...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now wait just a minunte here my friend. I believe you are blindly answering this without opening your mind. I do realize what i am working with!

Many years ago I could scan a picture and in  coral trace "draw" I could then run a trace around all edges and export a dxf file that I could then cut on a waterjet or laser. I still have this need but  i no longer have a compadable coral program that will run on my  operating system. I see that their are plenty of psd and pdf to dxf conversion programs available online I am just not sure  which one works best. So

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best method would be education.

Photoshop and the DXF format are not compatible.

What are you trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many years ago I could scan a picture and in coral trace "draw" I could run a trace around all edges and export a dxf file that I could then cut on a waterjet or laser. I still have this need. I see psd and pdf to dxf programs are available on the internet I am just not sure which one works best.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe would be typically done in Illustrator, but nobody really uses DXF for laser cutting or 2D milling anymore. Most equipment has long moved beyond that and it's eitehr handled via the printer driver by setting up a specific separation, EPS files, PDFs or even native AI files, sometimes even directly run with plug-ins from inside Illustrator. You reayll need to look into that and do some research on the matter....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We laser and waterjet cut all day long. We cut plastic, tile, steel and many other materials. We are in the process of ordering a new Cincinnati quarter million dollar a press brake that utilizes dxf files to generate forming programs to form or parts. So when you say nobody uses DXF anymore you may want to look into that and do some research on the matter yourself.

Sounds like I need to talk to someone more educated in may industry.

Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an aerospace engineering consultant (manufacturing) and I just wanted to let you know that dxf files are used everyday to drive laser cutters throughout the aerospace industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be, but dxf files are vector files. Photoshop produces raster files. The two are not interchangable. You have to have a program that can either create the vector files from scratch via Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, etc. or use a program that can trace the raster image and create a vector file from it, via corel trace, illustrator, etc.

Think about it, CNC machines, plotters, cutters, etc require a vector file because vectors are math based, in that it plots a line from A to B. Raster images don't have any math, they are just images.

That being said what the others were getting at, is the dxf file format is a very old format and there are other formats that are better today. This has nothing to do with outdated equipment, its a given that they still require dxf files. Yes odds are you can still buy equipment that supports dxf files, but that does not mean that dxf is the standard anymore.

To make things worse, is dxf has several flavors, which can only be seen by looking at the file with a text editor. Dxf can be 2d or 3d and it can be with polylines or 3d faces. But that getting a bit off topic. Its just to let you know that converting to dxf is not so cut and dry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2011 Aug 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop not only produces raster images - you also have the ability to produce paths, which are vector based. So it is not impossible to make a conversion from PSD to 2D dxf.  I saw a thread in another forum where someone was trying to do the job with PS scripts. hopefully he can come up with it - or I may just have to bit the bullet and buy illustrator.

As far as dxf being obsolete - The dxf file is the standard procedure in the aerospace industry for moving data from 3D CAD to a projected 2D format for cutting flat parts in aerospace tooling shops. I have 26 years experience at 16 different companies including companies in England and Canada. Now it is always possible that new things arise that I am not aware of however, they are not the industry standard in aerospace tooling ... yet. So while we are at it what are these new formats you speak of, that replace dxf files for manufacturing?

Thanks for your time!

Kaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking the same as you are on this. Also I wanted to ask Silkrooster the same question as to what would replace dxf format. I would love to know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop not only produces raster images - you also have the ability to produce paths, which are vector based. So it is not impossible to make a conversion from PSD to 2D dxf.  I saw a thread in another forum where someone was trying to do the job with PS scripts. hopefully he can come up with it - or I may just have to bit the bullet and buy illustrator.

Yes you are right photoshop can produce paths. But there is no stroke or fill, to my knowledge the only export format is illustrator(I have not tried the pdf format). Currently I do not know of any drivers specifically for photoshop, but I have heard they are available for illustrator.

As far as dxf being obsolete - The dxf file is the standard procedure in the aerospace industry for moving data from 3D CAD to a projected 2D format for cutting flat parts in aerospace tooling shops. I have 26 years experience at 16 different companies including companies in England and Canada. Now it is always possible that new things arise that I am not aware of however, they are not the industry standard in aerospace tooling ... yet. So while we are at it what are these new formats you speak of, that replace dxf files for manufacturing?

I don't know if I would say obsolete, but it is getting quite old. And frankly assuming your using autocad, I don't know how limited you are with formats, they may still prefer dxf since it is there own format.

As for other formats, there are:

solidworks (sldprt)

STL

IGES

Step

DWG

DXF

PDF

EPS

Plus way more than I can list.

The thing is each industry is different, in what they consider to be the standard.  So rightfully so, I can not say what is the standard for the Aero Space industry. No more than you can for the teeshirt industry for example.

That being said, there are a lot of file converters on the market, but I assume (have not tested them) that they prefer vector to vector translations. Though some could have an autotrace feature, which would be required for a raster image.

So to get a file from photoshop to your device, it looks like it will require purchasing another app to get there.(This is an assumption as I do not know about all the plugins for photoshop on the market)

Illustrator can import the ai file from photoshop and save it to dxf, though you may want to add a stroke to the paths, just to see it.

Illustrator or corel trace can trace an image and export to dxf

and finally a translator program to convert to the dxf format.

Or bypass photoshop all together and purchase illustrator, or any one of the cad/camm apps on the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, here is the links to IMSI's website the maker of turbocad. It may be an alternative. But I have not checked the price in awhile so...

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/tabid/63/Default.aspx

They do have a pdf to dxf app for a couple of hundred. (Just checked...)

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/Addons/tabid/560/Default.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response - You are correct that I know nothing about the t-shirt industry (although you never can tell what people know on these forums). My only point is that dxf is far from obsolete. In the aerospace industry we don't use autocad most of us use CATIA a subsidiary of the French company Dassault. Since you mentioned Solidworks I may add that Solidworks was purchased by Dassault to fufill low end manufacturing needs such as small parts from small shops. Last I heard, Solidworks sold for about $5K while CATIA is about 20K - from what I know autocad is used primarily in the architecture industry. I am very familiar with all of the formats you listed and they all work cross platform except sldprts which only work in solidworks. If I could convert a PSD to any of the formats you listed (other than PDF and EPS) I would be happy.

Cheers,

Kaz

In a message dated 08/08/11 22:18:59 Pacific Daylight Time, forums@adobe.com writes:

Photoshop not only produces raster images - you also have the ability

to produce paths, which are vector based. So it is not impossible to

make a conversion from PSD to 2D dxf. I saw a thread in another forum

where someone was trying to do the job with PS scripts. hopefully he can

come up with it - or I may just have to bit the bullet and buy

illustrator.

Yes you are right photoshop can produce paths. But there is no stroke or fill, to my knowledge the only export format is illustrator(I have not tried the pdf format). Currently I do not know of any drivers specifically for photoshop, but I have heard they are available for illustrator.

As far as dxf being obsolete - The dxf file

is the standard procedure in the aerospace industry for moving data from

3D CAD to a projected 2D format for cutting flat parts in aerospace

tooling shops. I have 26 years experience at 16 different companies

including companies in England and Canada. Now it is always possible

that new things arise that I am not aware of however, they are not the

industry standard in aerospace tooling ... yet. So while we are at it

what are these new formats you speak of, that replace dxf files for

manufacturing?

I don't know if I would say obsolete, but it is getting quite old. And frankly assuming your using autocad, I don't know how limited you are with formats, they may still prefer dxf since it is there own format.

As for other formats, there are:

solidworks (sldprt)

STL

IGES

Step

DWG

DXF

PDF

EPS

Plus way more than I can list.

The thing is each industry is different, in what they consider to be the standard. So rightfully so, I can not say what is the standard for the Aero Space industry. No more than you can for the teeshirt industry for example.

That being said, there are a lot of file converters on the market, but I assume (have not tested them) that they prefer vector to vector translations. Though some could have an autotrace feature, which would be required for a raster image.

So to get a file from photoshop to your device, it looks like it will require purchasing another app to get there.(This is an assumption as I do not know about all the plugins for photoshop on the market)

Illustrator can import the ai file from photoshop and save it to dxf, though you may want to add a stroke to the paths, just to see it.

Illustrator or corel trace can trace an image and export to dxf

and finally a translator program to convert to the dxf format.

Or bypass photoshop all together and purchase illustrator, or any one of the cad/camm apps on the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also vary familiar with all of the formats you mentioned. I have used Autocad, SW, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Cadam, ProE, Computer Vision, so I am quite familiar with these referenced formats. Well it sounds like we are beating a dead horse however I really appreciate all of the input. Looks like I need to purchase Illustrator now. Would I be missing much if I try saving some money and going to cs4 vs cs5?

You know I have to believe iges is about as old as dxf. I must have used it 20+ years ago.

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CorelTRACE and CorelDRAW are vector programs. The equivalent here would be Adobe Illustrator (not Photoshop), which can export DXF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that under Filter/vanishing point there is a dxf export option. Do you know what this is used for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSCF2F1F0A-82BB-423d-8C16-856A437D4B96a.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this problem solved - I too would like to output paths to dxf to run NC machinery. I realize that I could probably get the job done with Illustrator however, I don't want to spend the money on it if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Kaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to look at the company that makes TurboCad, they have sister program just for CNC machines. They may be a bit cheaper than illustrator, but its been awhile so don't quote me on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for all of your input. I just wanted to say that all of this started with me just wondering if there was an add-on that could trace a bipmaps out lines as coral trace us to do. I do realize the difference between vector and raster files. Will Illustrator allow me import a Photoshop file then generate a dxf file of its outlines?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, you would generate art in Illustrator where you have more control. But it is possible to convert Photoshop art in Illustrator. Converting from raster to vector (which Illustrator can do with auto trace) is not a perfect process. You will see similar quality between Illustrator and CorelTrace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graphic guy,

Psd to dxf.

As of from all your ques & ans.all says that

you are in my same line of industry as wht

i am in.

Please send an example picture what you wanted to

be converted. I can help you in the best way to

solve your problem.

I am dealing with router machine, water jet & laser

machine related to sign buisness.

thx & regards,

tamil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines