Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about the way to turn off the turning back to previous tool

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I want to turn off the function of returning to the tool that I used before.
I don't know how I explain this function. this function is activated when I use tablet pen with holding press a tool shortcut key on my keyboard, and when I release the key, it will bring back the previous tool.
For example, I use brush tool, and hold press E(eraser shortcut key) and using tablet pen, I can use eraser while I hold press E key.
But release E key, It return to brush tool.

it is very inconvenient to return to the previous tool automatically. Is there any way I can turn this off?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Keeping a Tool-shortcut key pressed to revrt to the previous Tool on release is called spring-loading. 

To me it seems you are not properly hitting the keys for the results you want. 

If you just switch between Brush and Eraser you could also use the tilde key instead of »B« and »E«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not completely sure I understand your description, but why don’t you hit the key instead of keeping it pressed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not exactly a long press.

I don't use the brush tool or the eraser tool for a long time at once, but I tend to touch it quickly and shortly and frequently.

However, as I changed the tools quickly and frequently and repeated brushing and erasing, the pen touched the tablet plate just before the finger that pressed B or E came off the keyboard, so the first touch was done with that I desired tool. When the pen is released from tablet plate for the next touch, it returns to the previously used tool, and the second and subsequent touches are often touched with unwanted tools.

If that happens, I do ctrl z then press the button straight down and start touching again.

This is so uncomfortable. It also affects the speed of work.

I've been suffering from this feature for quite some time, and I thought it was a computer problem. However, upgrading the computer did not change the problem, so I found the cause this time. That was this feature.

There was an article on Reddit using the function I described. If it is difficult to understand because the explanation I gave is insufficient, please refer to the article below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/5ljoi9/toggle_between_brush_and_eraser/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping a Tool-shortcut key pressed to revrt to the previous Tool on release is called spring-loading. 

To me it seems you are not properly hitting the keys for the results you want. 

If you just switch between Brush and Eraser you could also use the tilde key instead of »B« and »E«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Thank you so much for telling me about Spring-loading.

I didn't even know the name of this function, so I couldn't even figure out how to fix it. thank you.

However, It seems to be there is still no way to fully control this function as I want.

I searched for Spring loading on Google And I found out that I wasn't the only one suffering from it...

Maybe there is no way to turn off the Spring load function at all now...

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/turn-off-toggling-between-tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know no way to deactivate it. 

In the meantime you may have to practice more deliberately hitting the key very shortly … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay... Thank you so much for your kind reply! It was really helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't fully understand your issue.  It may be the way you have your pen buttons configured, or it may be that you need to disable the Shift Key for Tool Switch function in preferences.

Annotation 2020-09-08 080720.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines