• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question on Raw Files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can shoot both, Raw or Large jpeg , have a Canon 7D and relatively new to the Adobe CC and Lightroom here. I am familiar with Photoshop but I am learning about all the new features this has to offer.

My question, bottom line - better to shoot in Raw or Jpeg? I agonize over this on a regular basis. I like the editing options for both, realizing that Raw has the best options but its such a longer process it seems to edit files.

2 things

I am starting to learn new techniques now, mainly in Composite Photography (children mostly).  No one mentions what is best to use when shooting pictures to use for this type of file. 

In addition, I am preparing to head to the ocean and plan to take a lot of beach pictures. 

Thank you . Debbie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

debbiec58492344  wrote

I agonize over this on a regular basis

No need to agonize.

You need to be aware that jpeg is a heavily compressed format, and the compression is destructive, irreversible and cumulative. Don't edit and resave a jpeg if you can avoid it.

A raw file on the other hand contains all the data captured by the sensor - actually a lot more information than you will ultimately use in any final version of the image. Any given processing will only use some of it.

A jpeg is like a cracker,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw is technically better, but if you set your camera so that your JPEGs come out of your 7D pretty close to perfect, then you might be able to use JPEG.

Most of the superiority of raw files comes from the flexibility they give you if you have to make large tone or color changes when editing. If your JPEGs are coming out of your camera with little need for further editing, totally ready to use, that negates much of the raw advantage.

Some compositing techniques (such as layering with blending modes) might stress an image enough that a poorly shot JPEG image might start to reveal compression artifacts, or banding in tones or colors. A high-quality image converted from raw should withstand a lot more alteration while keeping its quality. If you need to enlarge the image significantly, a raw file will allow a higher-quality enlargement.

Then you should put all of the above in the context of who is going to see your final composite images. If you sell to high-end clients, starting from raw might be required because those clients might be able to spot image quality problems that might result from compositing with JPEG. But if you sell to families, they might be unlikely to say "I noticed blocky artifacts in the blended shadow areas" which might happen when using a JPEG. Also, the bigger you'll print, the better it will be to use raw.

All of the above assumes you’ve learned to edit a raw file well enough that the image will have excellent tone, color, and sharpness when converted to a Photoshop document. A poorly converted raw image can be worse than a high-quality out-of-camera JPEG.

If you determine that JPEG is good enough, make sure you've set the 7D to the highest quality JPEG settings.

(I still have a Canon 7D that I used for many years. For my needs, I always shot raw.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

debbiec58492344  wrote

I agonize over this on a regular basis

No need to agonize.

You need to be aware that jpeg is a heavily compressed format, and the compression is destructive, irreversible and cumulative. Don't edit and resave a jpeg if you can avoid it.

A raw file on the other hand contains all the data captured by the sensor - actually a lot more information than you will ultimately use in any final version of the image. Any given processing will only use some of it.

A jpeg is like a cracker, it breaks up over nothing. A raw file is like a sheet of rubber, you can bend and stretch it to any shape.

So. If you are absolutely confident that the image will be used as-is, with no editing except maybe a little cropping, then jpeg will be more convenient. Not better, but more convenient. If you plan to do anything at all to the files after they leave the camera - shoot raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally agree here with Dag, shoot raw always, the file may be bigger and therefore less capacity on the memory card but the extra flexibility given is beyond value. It's amazing what you can do with Camera Raw that simply don't cut the mustard with jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am beyond thrilled with all the advice, comments and guidance. Thank you SO very much. This puts a much clearer picture in my mind.  Appreciate you all taking the time to comment and send the link too - which I am in the process of reading. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debbie,

Here's a link to a cool diagram comparing RAW to Jpg by Yannick Ciancanelli.

http://www.yannickciancanelli.com/the-awesome-raw-vs-jpg-diagram-the-when-what-why-of-raw-and-jpg-sh...

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines