Highlighted

Question: Selective Color & Levels Adjustment Issue

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. I've been trying to learn a tutorial online - and I've been having some issues when I added in the selective color adjustment as a clipping mask. I didn't know what was causing it, so I decided to add the selective color adjustment at the beginning as I restarted the tutorial. I discovered that it was between the selective color adjustment on the group / levels adjustment on the yellow rings that was causing everything to go black.

It shows up fine as long as one of them isn't clipped - but as soon as both are clipped at the same time, it causes this strange effect. Any guidance is highly appreciated.

Attached Two Images of Non-clipped / Clipped.

Topics

How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Question: Selective Color & Levels Adjustment Issue

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. I've been trying to learn a tutorial online - and I've been having some issues when I added in the selective color adjustment as a clipping mask. I didn't know what was causing it, so I decided to add the selective color adjustment at the beginning as I restarted the tutorial. I discovered that it was between the selective color adjustment on the group / levels adjustment on the yellow rings that was causing everything to go black.

It shows up fine as long as one of them isn't clipped - but as soon as both are clipped at the same time, it causes this strange effect. Any guidance is highly appreciated.

Attached Two Images of Non-clipped / Clipped.

Topics

How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Namreeg LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The unexpected results you're getting make sense in a way and
is actually expected to happen.

When you have the 'Selective color adjustment layer' linked to the 'Group 1 folder'
it acts only on the contents within that folder, including whatever is in the nested 'Portals folder', thus ignoring the 'Background layer', completely. The resulting dark halo and loss of the street view are side effects due to how the portal image is being adjusted by the 'Levels adjustment layer' and the linked 'Selective color adjustment layer' combined and also how the contents of the 'Portal folder' have been setup.

When the 'Selective color adjustment layer' is unlinked from the 'Group 1 folder' than both the contents of  'Group 1 folder' and the 'Background layer' are being affected simultainiously.

I would assume that you might have missed a step in the tutorial you're following. You might try to start from the beginning and see where your setup might differ.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines