• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick Mask Fading

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm rather new to Photoshop, and I was trying to remove the background from a photo to use on a poster. I used a quick mask to do a selection, but when I press delete or use the eraser to delete the selection, a weird fading effect always happens. Can someone explain me why, and, if possible, how to disable it?

In anex I have a screenshot with the quick mask, then one in normal mode (after I press "Q"), and then what happens when I press delete.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

The Selection seems to be pretty soft so that can lead to the Tool’s effect »fading«. 

Layer Masks are the way to go if you are serious about image editing. 

And I think you could still improve the Selection a bit with the Quick Selection Tool, for example, or »Select and Mask«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Brush Settings, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What are the Eraser Tool’s settings? 

You could just use the Paint Brush Tool and switch between foreground and background color by hitting X. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LUÍS5F97_0-1615906183415.png

LUÍS5F97_1-1615906203808.png

And here I, using the eraser tool, used it from right to left

LUÍS5F97_2-1615906300214.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you use Layer Masks instead of erasing? 

The last screenshot is close to useless, please don’t crop them needlessly. 
The effect of any Tool is, among others, determined by the active Selection, so what was the Selection at that point? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologise for the cropings, and thank you for your attention.

This is the current selection

LUÍS5F97_0-1615907617367.png

My ideia was to select everything but the people, and, while on quick mask mode, before the eraser I also tried to use the brush tool, like this.

LUÍS5F97_1-1615907769489.png

About Layer Masks, I'm not familiar with how they work, but if there's no choice I guess I can try using them. Still, is there something wrong with the selection that causes this fading effect? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Selection seems to be pretty soft so that can lead to the Tool’s effect »fading«. 

Layer Masks are the way to go if you are serious about image editing. 

And I think you could still improve the Selection a bit with the Quick Selection Tool, for example, or »Select and Mask«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I will try then to learn how to use Layer Masks.

When you say that the selection seems pretty soft, is there a way to undo that, so that there is no fading?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I found that if I were to invert the selection and erase, it would work normally, with no fading effect whatsoever.

LUÍS5F97_0-1615910386259.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines