• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick mask selection always feathers.

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use quick mask to select my main subject, create a new layer mask, and then add blur, to make my main subject stand out.

I have recently upgraded to CC2019, from CS6. Big jump, I know.  In CS6 quick mask selection, it has always kept a hard edge, unless I add feathering via the slider, which prevented hazing between the main subject and the background. 

PS 2019, with the same settings ( Feather 0%, Contrast 100%, Hard Brush 100% ) always feathers, no matter what I do!  I use the quick mask for almost all my images and the problem is very frustrating.

Am I missing a key point somewhere? I don't understand why everything I select is always feathered when feathering is not on.  Please help! Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which technique you are using in Quick Mask mode? Painting with Brush? Perhaps your brush has soft edges which are retained when converting to selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are talking about a tool, namely Quick Selection Tool, as described.

Quick Mask is a View Mode, that allows editing using paint tools..

I think I understand the situation, if you are assured the tool has 100% hardness, but it does not work correctly:

1. Reset Tool or All tools (icon tool at left)

2. Reset Preferences (Restart Photoshop while holding Ctrl/Cmd+Alt+Shift

quick2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all those but whenever I use quick selection or lasso tool it always feathers like 3 pixel in and out even though hardness is set to 0 and anti-aliasing is off. However when I do a rectangular selection it's absolutely perfect without any feathering whatsoever. I don't recall it doing this in the past but for some reason it does now ! Please help me !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset the Tools.

Select each tool that it's feathering and in the left end of the Control bar on top, right to its icon there is a menu to Reset that tool.

Please try this.

Namely, for Quick Selection tool in the Size menu, check that Hardness is set to 100%.

For the lasso Tool, which uses a Feather value on the Control bar, check is 0px

Or else reset the Preferences of Photoshop if that does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help ! It  improved the situation but didn't solved the issue, anything else that I can try ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same issue. Would love to know if you have found any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This link might be helpful: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/76610/photoshop-feathers-selections-even-though-i-...

Go to "Refine Edge" or "Select and Mask" and increase "Contrast" to 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines