"Can't save file due to program error"

Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently I've been getting an error pop up when trying to save a file stating: "Can't save file due to program error"

The interesting thing is it gives me that error on the first attempt to save, but once i click OK, I'm able to hit save again and then it saves fine.

I'm running the most up to date version of CC. Is this a bug or some sort of weird setting on my machine causing it?

Hey I've also been suffering through this issue and tried a ton of stuff that didn't work!  I finally got it to work, though, thanks to a comment on here Photoshop: Can't save file due to program error | Photoshop Family Customer Community .

I have no idea why or how this works, but select the background layer and then make sure all other layers and everything are deselected, and also turn them off.  It's a bit inconvenient since you have to turn all the other layers off apart from your bg layer, but it should at least allow you to save progress on the file until you can either flatten and merge all your layers/send your PSD to someone and inform them that they will have to turn all your other layers back on.

For the time being this is working for me, unlike your issue, mine will not save at all even after multiple attempts.  I've heard from different people that it's potentially an issue with RAM or cached data, but none of the solutions offered up to fix those scenarios has worked in my case.  It sounds like it must be some kind of PS bug, but I still have no idea what/where the problem is and/or comes from.  The link that JJMack​ posted to is just suggesting that perhaps it's your PSD itself that has some sort of corrupted data in it.  I have no idea if there's anything we can do about the corruption itself, unfortunately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Can't save file due to program error"

Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently I've been getting an error pop up when trying to save a file stating: "Can't save file due to program error"

The interesting thing is it gives me that error on the first attempt to save, but once i click OK, I'm able to hit save again and then it saves fine.

I'm running the most up to date version of CC. Is this a bug or some sort of weird setting on my machine causing it?

Hey I've also been suffering through this issue and tried a ton of stuff that didn't work!  I finally got it to work, though, thanks to a comment on here Photoshop: Can't save file due to program error | Photoshop Family Customer Community .

I have no idea why or how this works, but select the background layer and then make sure all other layers and everything are deselected, and also turn them off.  It's a bit inconvenient since you have to turn all the other layers off apart from your bg layer, but it should at least allow you to save progress on the file until you can either flatten and merge all your layers/send your PSD to someone and inform them that they will have to turn all your other layers back on.

For the time being this is working for me, unlike your issue, mine will not save at all even after multiple attempts.  I've heard from different people that it's potentially an issue with RAM or cached data, but none of the solutions offered up to fix those scenarios has worked in my case.  It sounds like it must be some kind of PS bug, but I still have no idea what/where the problem is and/or comes from.  The link that JJMack​ posted to is just suggesting that perhaps it's your PSD itself that has some sort of corrupted data in it.  I have no idea if there's anything we can do about the corruption itself, unfortunately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2018 52
216 Replies 216
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2018 0
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that link doesn't show me anything specific to the issue i'm having, nor a solution

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2018 0
Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2018 26
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a similar issue. I have a project with over 60 layers. It was working all fine, until one day I tried to move one of the layers and it gave me the error when I tried to save or export. I just hit the undo button until I can save again, but it seems like I can't make any further edits to the project, or else it will not save or export. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 5
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue too using version 22.1, had 53 layers and moved 3 layers across and tried to save hopefully that fix this issue soon, thanks for posting the workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 2
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue after updating to 22.1.0 and then editing a project started before I updated.  After turning off all layers, I could save.  So I started making layers visible one at a time and saving.  I found there was one type layer (a new one) that caused the "Program Error".  I deleted that one layer and replaced it with a new one, and I can now save with all layers visible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 3
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**UPDATE** so this is definitely some sort of bug that needs to be fixed soon. This is what I did to fix my issue. So, I needed to move a layer from the right side of the image, to the left, but when I made the edit the entire project wouldn't save or export. To Remedy this I would only move the layer a short amount at a time, and made sure to save after every time I moved the layer to make sure I could export later. Eventually, I was able to move the layer from left to right, but I had to break up the edit into increments. Occasionally, no matter how many increments I made, the program would refuse to save/export so I just closed out of photoshop and came back after an hour, then it worked. VERY annoying bug; adobe needs to get on this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 6
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been wondering if there is something in the way the program refreshes the visual display that is causing the problems because I noticed that now whenever I nudge something, I get a trail along the path of the object outline (even if I have the display resizing border toggled off). By the time I get the object repositioned, I have a pixel-y path of the outline all across the path of movement and it doesn't disappear until I click off of the layer.

This doesn't seem to be directly connected to the save issue (I get the trail on everything in everyfile, even ones that are saving just fine), but it is yet another issue that wasn't happening before and maybe eventually causes corruption?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 1
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue tonight. Tried saving the files as a JPG and no go. I able to save the PSD after jumping through the hoops described above, but this is definitely a BAHUMBUG and slowing my workflow before the holiday. I am reverting back to 22.01.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 4
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I was just on with Sandeep in the tech department and he gave me this super useful tip that worked for me. Basically you just need to allow Photoshop full disk access. I am unsure of how to do this on a Windows machine. But, if you're on OSX:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > then click Privacy > Full Disk access folder.
Add Photoshop then open and check (it will probably have to close and reopen photoshop first).

I hope this helps! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2020 4
Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for PC's? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 25, 2020 2
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking to make it work on my PC!  Any save any of my work 🧐

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reverted back to 22.01 and now have no issues! Tried all of the other work-arounds listed. Giving photoshop full access did not work for me. I was able to do the weird unselecting-every-layer-except-the-background save just to keep my work as a PSD file. Then, I had to reselect all of those layers and merge them one by one (wouldn't let me "merge visible") in order to save as a JPG. I thought this was a bunch of convoluted nonsense, so I tried your advice on reverting to the previous version and that worked best! Man, adobe sure is having a lot of issues lately! I've also been experiencing bugs with Premiere Pro. Hope they get this issue resolved soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 3
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus! This sounds like total humbug but actually works! Incredible, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 2
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srsly! I was like, "no way this is actually how you fix it"

Also, shoutout to the Adobe programmer who straight noped outta this bug with 'because of a program error'. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 5
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is making me cry but your comment about the Adobe programmer {oh heeeellllzzzz no, nope, no way, i'm out } made me laugh 😄

For me it was dragging an image into the project that prevented the doc from saving. However, if i open the image in Photoshop and then drag it across to the project, then it saves [facepalm].

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2021 1
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I thought I was going to loose my work!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2020 1
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but I was unable to save files as PNG/JPG or flatten my layers. I just downgraded from the latest photoshop version (22.1) to the previous one (22.0.1) and it worked like a charm. 

Just thought I'd share my solution with everyone. It's pretty frustrating to be stuck like this.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 6
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing your solution, it literally saved my life! I tried so many methods but none of the works like this one. Now I'm using 22.0.1 and it works so well. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 4
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! i did this and could finally start saving and exporting again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2020 1
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reverted back to 22.01 and now have no issues! Tried all of the other work-arounds listed. Giving photoshop full access did not work for me. I was able to do the weird unselecting-every-layer-except-the-background save just to keep my work as a PSD file. Then, I had to reselect all of those layers and merge them one by one (wouldn't let me "merge visible") in order to save as a JPG. I thought this was a bunch of convoluted nonsense, so I tried your advice on reverting to the previous version and that worked best! Man, adobe sure is having a lot of issues lately! I've also been experiencing bugs with Premiere Pro. Hope they get this issue resolved soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 2
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry, same issue as everyone else, but how do I revert from 22.1 to 22.0.1?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 1
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way I'm aware of is:

• Go into the Creative Cloud app itself, and find Photoshop in your list of Installed apps
  • To the right of the "Open" button, click on the 3-dot tray/hidden menu
  • Click Other Versions
  • You should be given a list of previous versions which you can download

I've been having this same issue since December and it so annoying. Personally, I'm on Mac, so I'll first try to troubleshoot the issue as someone earlier in this thread was advised to by the support team:

"Basically you just need to allow Photoshop full disk access. I am unsure of how to do this on a Windows machine. But, if you're on OSX: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > then click Privacy > Full Disk access folder. Add Photoshop then open and check (it will probably have to close and reopen photoshop first)."

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try reverting it to an older version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Immediate update: The full disk access trick didn't work. Older version installation it is, then! I'll uninstall PS and then install 22.0.1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing I have the same issue but how do I downgrade?
Many thanks,Vanessa

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2021 0
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a brand new file opened with brand new layers does not have corrupted data; 

there is an issue with photoshop itself. 

the program update they did most recently has some kind of save flaw in the coding and they need to roll it back or fix it; especially for the amount of $ we spend on this program. paying for something that does not work is like throwing money in a fireplace just to watch it burn.  they also need to credit people for this time we cannot use the program we pay so much money for that is delaying our ability to do the things we pay for the program for. 

I will start researching other programs at this point. this is not all of our computes or anything wrong with our devices when it is -this- wide of an issue; its very clear that it is a program and coding issue. and we should not have to go into program files, rename files, go through a ton of steps uninstall-reinstall, roll back and reinstall old versions etc-  a program like this should be CLICK IT DOWNLAOD IT & USE IT I've uninstalled and reinstalled this program at least 3 times just today trying to get it to work and it is still not letting me save ANYTHING! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 1
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this problen. I noticed it was only when I was using flash drives, 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020 0
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with version 22.1 too!!!

tried the optio +command+ shift method, didn't help....

at the end, I have uninstalled the latest version n downgraded to 22.0 version and now everything seems fine now.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only solution is downgrade to 22.0.1 and WAIT... for an update without this IMPOSSIBLE bug.

Please Adobe work faster!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 1
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg THANK YOU for the tip of turning off all the layers but the bg to at least let me save the work I've done so far. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 1
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on my end after reading all these comments - I was having this issue in an update like 2 years ago, so it's very frustrating to see it happening again in this latest update. I've had it happen a couple times in the last few weeks, but thankfully this workaround still helped out (for now). I'm still not sure what exactly it is about certain files that causes it. Sounds like there are a lot of us having issues with the lastest update, let's hope this bug is fixed in the next update but it's been great to read that there may be more effective workarounds! Hang in there everyone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot. this worked for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still an issue with 22.1.1, or is it only 22.1 that sucks this way?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the latest version and I believe it is the one you mentioned. If you
have the same problem return to the earlier version.

Richard Stamats

https://www.facebook.com/RStamatsVisualArts/

I cannot do all the good the world needs.
But the world needs all the good that I can do.
*—Jana Stanfield*

"Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness,
and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore, to this day!"
*- From the Sanskrit*

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem with both versions...

Adobe just need to pull their finger out and sort finally!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2021 0
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep just the same...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2021 0
Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. My workaround was to turn off all the layers except the background and save to cloud Then I closed the document Then I opened from the cloud and saved to computer seems to work. (PC)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2021 0
6 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
6 hours ago 0
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I even uninstalled all my Adobe Programs and redownloaded them and I am stil getting the Can't save file due to program error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same issue as well. I have the latest update installed, just started happening out of the blue. It occurs when I try to save a PSD file.  It also occurs when I try to save a duplicate named PDF file. It really started going downhill with the new Mac OS update to Catalina. Have reached out to Adobe several times about this and have been told they are aware of an issue with Catalina yet nothing has been resolved and seems to be getting worse. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 4
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya same with me.  Im having to do the "save as" option and save in a diff folder and its working. LMK if that works for you or you found another work around

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and I am running Windows. Any time I copy and paste from one Photoshop file into another and then manipulate the new layer, it sends me the error message saying that it can't save. It's a file I've been workign in for months. I can't say for sure, but I think I created the file in a previous version of CC. What is the fix for this? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2020 0
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. It's super frustrating considering I just bought a new computer in order to run the latest version of Photoshop CC 2020 and it's waaaay more buggy than CC 2018. I like to save my files often and this is just..... so broken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 4
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And 2021 is even more buggy than in 2020. same save issue stillllllll exists.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 8
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue. Super frustrating and disrupting my workflow. I get one save, and then after that I can an error every time and have to save as a new file. Totally unacceptable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 4
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure how my problem resolved but it stopped happening. Its possible it was after updating to photoshop 2021

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 1
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is the correct answer. THANK YOU! ❤️

Why are the blind leading the blind here while Adobe's eating nachos?

YO, the paid version is supposed to be a better experience than the pirated ones. Thnx

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 1
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I have 2021 and it just started happening to me. Photoshop is really dropping the ball here 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 9
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, doesnt let me save a file I'm hours into, doesnt show text when I try to type, and when I hide my layers, they dont reappear. Just updated to 2021 yesterday, and this is extremely dissapointed. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 2
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculous that I should even be trying this when I'm paying $60/month but I'm attempting to reinstall a previous version as I never had this problem until updating to 2021.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 3
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, downgrading to the previous version seems to have worked for me.

Still, pretty ridiculous. I was working files that were 20-30MB, which should be no problem given my computer's specs. I often work in files over 1GB and hadn't had this problem until the newest version Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 2
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue since the latest update. I was able to save the psd file with the recomendation of turning off all the layers except the background. It would not let me merge or flatten layers or save the file into a jpg or png. I think this is a Photoshop issue b/c I also have a couple of the Affinity products and I was able to open the psd in there and then save the file as a jpg and png. My file size was just over 20MB. 

I hope that this is corrected soon as it is a pain and a slow down in my production. 😕 

Good Luck! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 1
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue . Cant flatten an image or save it after sky replacement. It seems to be getting prgressively worse.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 1
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to PS 2021 and now this error is happening – completely maddening as a graphic designer who hits save 100s of times per day. How do you downgrade versions via the Cloud?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 0
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, I have deadlines coming up and photoshop is completely and utterly broken. Zooming in and out is laggy, and saving is a no-go.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 0
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On creative cloud, you'll see the list of softwares you have installed and a menu button next to "open". You can access the old versions from there. It's pretty easy and downgrading to an older version worked for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 4
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0