Highlighted

"Can't save file due to program error"

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently I've been getting an error pop up when trying to save a file stating: "Can't save file due to program error"

The interesting thing is it gives me that error on the first attempt to save, but once i click OK, I'm able to hit save again and then it saves fine.

I'm running the most up to date version of CC. Is this a bug or some sort of weird setting on my machine causing it?

Hey I've also been suffering through this issue and tried a ton of stuff that didn't work!  I finally got it to work, though, thanks to a comment on here Photoshop: Can't save file due to program error | Photoshop Family Customer Community .

I have no idea why or how this works, but select the background layer and then make sure all other layers and everything are deselected, and also turn them off.  It's a bit inconvenient since you have to turn all the other layers off apart from your bg layer, but it should at least allow you to save progress on the file until you can either flatten and merge all your layers/send your PSD to someone and inform them that they will have to turn all your other layers back on.

For the time being this is working for me, unlike your issue, mine will not save at all even after multiple attempts.  I've heard from different people that it's potentially an issue with RAM or cached data, but none of the solutions offered up to fix those scenarios has worked in my case.  It sounds like it must be some kind of PS bug, but I still have no idea what/where the problem is and/or comes from.  The link that JJMack​ posted to is just suggesting that perhaps it's your PSD itself that has some sort of corrupted data in it.  I have no idea if there's anything we can do about the corruption itself, unfortunately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Can't save file due to program error"

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently I've been getting an error pop up when trying to save a file stating: "Can't save file due to program error"

The interesting thing is it gives me that error on the first attempt to save, but once i click OK, I'm able to hit save again and then it saves fine.

I'm running the most up to date version of CC. Is this a bug or some sort of weird setting on my machine causing it?

Hey I've also been suffering through this issue and tried a ton of stuff that didn't work!  I finally got it to work, though, thanks to a comment on here Photoshop: Can't save file due to program error | Photoshop Family Customer Community .

I have no idea why or how this works, but select the background layer and then make sure all other layers and everything are deselected, and also turn them off.  It's a bit inconvenient since you have to turn all the other layers off apart from your bg layer, but it should at least allow you to save progress on the file until you can either flatten and merge all your layers/send your PSD to someone and inform them that they will have to turn all your other layers back on.

For the time being this is working for me, unlike your issue, mine will not save at all even after multiple attempts.  I've heard from different people that it's potentially an issue with RAM or cached data, but none of the solutions offered up to fix those scenarios has worked in my case.  It sounds like it must be some kind of PS bug, but I still have no idea what/where the problem is and/or comes from.  The link that JJMack​ posted to is just suggesting that perhaps it's your PSD itself that has some sort of corrupted data in it.  I have no idea if there's anything we can do about the corruption itself, unfortunately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2018 3
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that link doesn't show me anything specific to the issue i'm having, nor a solution

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I even uninstalled all my Adobe Programs and redownloaded them and I am stil getting the Can't save file due to program error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same issue as well. I have the latest update installed, just started happening out of the blue. It occurs when I try to save a PSD file.  It also occurs when I try to save a duplicate named PDF file. It really started going downhill with the new Mac OS update to Catalina. Have reached out to Adobe several times about this and have been told they are aware of an issue with Catalina yet nothing has been resolved and seems to be getting worse. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 2
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya same with me.  Im having to do the "save as" option and save in a diff folder and its working. LMK if that works for you or you found another work around

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. It's super frustrating considering I just bought a new computer in order to run the latest version of Photoshop CC 2020 and it's waaaay more buggy than CC 2018. I like to save my files often and this is just..... so broken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0