• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Cannot save because disk is full" but disk is not full [2015]

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a large 2gb tiff panorama.  I have saved it plenty of times before.  After doing some work today, I went to save it and I get an error "Cannot save file because disk is full".  The disk is very much not full.  There was 15gb of free space on the disk when I tried to save (now down to 6gb because each time I try and save it eats up 2gb that it does not release back when the error pops up), and my scratch disk has 60gb of free space as well.  What is going on here?

I don't want to exit out of the program as I've made quite a few changes to the file that I don't want to lose since I can't save.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is just passing along the error it got from the OS.

It sounds like the OS may be filling that small amount of space with the swapfile  (anything else would have been freed up pretty quickly after the error).

Have you tried saving as PSB?

Have you tried saving to a different disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I misspoke earlier.  The drive I am trying to save to is actually a 1tb drive with 471gb of free space.  The drive with 15gb of free space is the C: that photoshop is installed on.

Also of note that I meant to mention in the original post, the save progress gets to 99% before the error is thrown.

Saving as a .PSB works, so I wonder what it is about the tif that is a problem here.  I would prefer to save the .tiff as this is actually a file I brought over from Lightroom (using the "Edit in Photoshop" option) so I'd prefer to see my changes automatically saved back over there, though I suppose worst case I can import the .PSB in Lightroom and copy the LR adjustments from the other file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it looks like Lightroom does not support .PSB files so I can't get it back in there unless I can get it to save as a .tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure - disk full messages come from the OS and are passed along. It is possible that some OS file API is returning an incorrect error.

Hmm - did you copy the whole, exact error message?  If it said "scratch disk is full",  or "boot disk is full" that would indicate a very different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file path in the error was chopped off, but the error itself just said "disk is full", not scratch disk, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you resolve this issue? I am having the same issue.  I brought my picture into Photoshop from Lightroom.  When I clicked command + S, I received the same message. I am unable to save the picture back into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had few times this error. After two months my hard disk started to make some pretty strange noises and a lot of files started to be corrupted. Not sure if this is your case but check if your hard disk is still 100% alive. Consider also that 15 G of free space on a computer running Photoshop is not to much. Usually around 10 G the computer starts to slow down and may give u unexpected issues.

Please let us know how this ends.
Regards,

Martin Benes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem trying to save to a 2TB NTFS volume. I repartitioned the drive to create two, 1TB NTFS volumes and I'm now able to save to either volume, so it's apparently a limitation of Photoshop itself and not a problem with the OS. Hope this helps. I should also note that the volume I was trying to save to (E:) was not specified as the Scratch Disk. That points to a solid state drive, in fact, the startup drive, C:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that issue but clicked "save as a copy" and it went through ok.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, (For Mac users)

This problem happens when (Documents Folder) is having more than what system has assined for, Then though your disk is not full the system is not able to calculate Document Folder. That is the same for Adobe Audition. I had this issue with Adobe Audition CC 2020 and when I moved some big size files to other folders, it was OK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. I have around 150GB free, and I have 16GB free on my Mac scratch disk with also my Lacie scratch disk enabled with 75GB free there too. (cursing removed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message may well be real.

A 2 GB file is a big file, and the scratch file can easily be in the 100GB range or more. Each history state can add up to another 2GB, and there's all kinds of extra overhead. I'd never be comfortable with less than 500 GB available scratch space.

Are those LaCie 75 GB recognized and correctly reported in Preferences > Scratch Disks? Using an external disk as scratch disk is hit or miss. Even if recognized by Photoshop, it can be too slow. Or too fragmented, if it's a spinning disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! My knowledge of scratch disks is very limited so I appreciate the info. It does seem to recognize my external Lacie as an additional scratch disk. My preference is not to use that, though. So to make more space for my Mac scratch disks, besides deleting files and compressing old projects (which I'm doing) will upping my RAM help? Right now I have 2 16gb slots and 2 4gb slots.

Deleting/compressing a first batch of old files (around 100 gb worth) actually didn't work for me. But using Photoshop 2020 instead of 2019 seems to work (for now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as "enough RAM". The scratch disk is Photoshop's main working memory. RAM is a fast access cache that keeps things smooth by holding current data that are immediately needed. But it's all on disk, always.

This is why Photoshop nees to have a lot of free disk space available. It gets used up in seconds with big files.

To be frank, I can't understand why this isn't reflected in the published system requirements. They only say that you need 3.1 GB disk space to install the application. I'm sure that's possible - but it would instantly crash and burn if you tried to actually use it with 3.1 GB disk space. In your case, I wouldn't settle for anything less than 500 GB free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really had absolutely no idea that's what my baseline should be. I appreciate the info more than I can say, for some reason it seems to be hard to find basic info like that when you're troubleshooting something like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message occurs before being able to pick a folder to put the file in. This was not the solutions everyone has been looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working on a project that you can't close out because you don't want to lose the recent actions that you did then do this:

1. Press the windows button+r (this will bring up the RUN window.

2. Open and delete the files and folders in these folders: temp, %temp% and prefetch. 

NOTE: Not all the files will be deleted so there are some left back don't panic, they are just in use at the moment.

3. (Optional) Delete any other unnecessry files from the computer. 

4. Empty your recycle bin.

5. YOU ARE GOOD TO GO!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same Problem. I don't really found a fix for it but after I restarted Photoshop it worked normally. I was lucky that I just had to do a small change so it wasn't that problematic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - as @D Fosse pointed out the error is most likely due to your Scratch Disk space available not RAM or the target drive for saving. Most of you have noted scratch disk sizes under 40 GB - THAT IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE. Recommendations start at 50 GB but depending on your file sizes (2 GB file will use up faster) I would go at least 100 GB scratch disk available space and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue right now. When I flattened the image the problem was gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I have read the replies to this thread. My scratch disk is not full, my computer has plenty space, my software and mac are up to date and I have flattened the image as someone suggested however I cannot save my edited image as "the disk is full"

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robyn27967736xtx1 Go to Photoshop Help Menu/System Info and copy/paste details in a reply. Post only once as the system takes time to process the large amount of data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I am unsure what this means. What am I copying and pasting and to where? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines