• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not complete the Save As command because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save a file and an error keeps popping up saying ""Could not complete the Save As command because there is not enough memory (RAM)". I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended. I have no other windows open. I checked the RAM allocated to Photoshop, in the Preferences > Performance tab, and I have tried it at 60% (980 MB) and 90% (1483 MB), still with no luck. I tried Purging the undo, clipboard and history with no help either.

I read a couple of other posts that were similar to this and people suggested " resetting the preferences as described in the FAQ." but is there any way to do this without closing Photoshop?

I can't loose this file, so any help woudl be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Hi mgfranz,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop CC 19.1.5.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop CC 2018: An integer between 96 and 8 is required. Closest value inserted. "Could not complete your request bec…

Once the update is installed, to allow Photoshop to manage memory the temporary fix needs to be removed.

See this: Error while accessing performance preferences - 'An integer between 96 and 8 is required.'

Here's a list of what's new in this release: Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As what format?  What image size in pixels?  How many bits / channel?

Have you tried Save As another format?

FYI, changing the RAM allocation will not affect Photoshop until next time you run it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the section where I would enter the format doesn't even pop up, its just as soon as I click Save or Save As, the error window pops up.

Image size is 1000x1300. 3 channels and 8 bits.

Good to know about the RAM allocation!

P.S. I was hoping you would help Noel, as I know you're the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a small image. It should pose no problem to save it. At how many dpi did you set it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Photoshop has been corrupted.  Perhaps a 3rd party plug-in with a memory "leak" has used up all the RAM.  But I imagine you are worried about getting the image saved first...

Can you do Image - Save for Web & Devices without the failure?

If not, is the image complex (e.g., multiple layers)?

I ask because you may be able to Select All then Copy, then paste into another application that can support images (e.g., something like Windows Picture Viewer or even MS Paint), then save from there.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to do Save for Web/Devices, which I had done and successfully saved a gif, but I tried to save as a jpg and it froze   and stopped responding. Oh well, I learned my lesson about saving my work, I guess.

Now about this 3rd party plugin that may be taking up my RAM...I don't have any plugins installed in Adobe at all. How do I figure out what is wrong? I really can't afford to have this happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear it locked up on you, and with only a GIF saved (which is probably useless).  Perhaps I should have suggested Select All / Copy first.

As far as what went wrong...  It might be helpful to know some of the specifics:

• What operating system are you running?
  • Do you see any errors in the Windows error logs corresponding in time to this problem, and if so, what are the specifics?
  • Do you have Photoshop updated to 12.0.3?
  • What video card do you have, and do you have updated video drivers?
  • Is OpenGL enabled in Edit - Preferences - Performance?
  • What kinds of operations did you do since you started the session of Photoshop that ultimately went bad?
  • What other applications were you running?
  • What kind of computer is it (specifically, can you install more RAM)?

It might not be possible to pinpoint just what went wrong, but perhaps we could make some general suggestions that might help.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so here's my specs:

Windows 7 running in bootcamp on a Mac with an Intel Core i3, 4 GB RAM (2.99 usable), 32 bit

ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card (updated version)

What I was doing in photoshop before the issue:building a website design layout, 50+ layers, photos, clipping masks, text etc.

OpenGL is/has been enabled.

Error logs that coincide with the issue: I've been trying to set a backup restore point with Windows Backup, and I've tried multiple times, but each time it fails and the error log says: access denied.

Other applications I have had open in the course of working in Photoshop: Illustrator, Firefox, iTunes

Also, I didn't do anything strange, download anything new. I've tried opening a PSD that has a completed layout of about the same size, I changed a couple of things and then tried to save it and it worked fine, although overall the program is running a little slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be a little late, but for those who are reading this and actually dont want your 4 hours job to be lost because you forgot to be saving each second, try to force an hibernation or sleep or whatever state of "stand by" you can set without exitting everything, for some reason it just refreshed everything, maybe i used almost all the resources available on some point and then photoshop was convinced that memory wasn't enough, maybe i dont know what i'm saying haha but it surely worked for me  😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution that worked for me I have been stuck with this problem since I started using CS5

My specs are good (quad core 4gb RAM under win 7) so the chances are that the problem is not my specs.

The solution:

Edit > prefrences > performance > GPU settings > Advance > at the selection box select "Advanced"

Worked for me (Hit the like button if it fixed your problem too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are, if changing your OpenGL settings worked around your problem your display driver is buggy.  As with many problems seen running the latest versions of Photoshop, visit the web site of your video card manufacturer and download/install the latest display driver for your hardware and OS version.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At work:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Driver Version: 8.17.12.7061

Date: 07/04/2011

Just updated to: Release 280.26

let's see if it helps...

THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me i find 4 gig ram to be low for anything serious, with the new avg antivirus scanner it pops up a warning about firefox using a lot of memory after
only a few minutes, have upgraded to firefox 7.01 and it can easily take 5-600 meg ram, my work computer is most of the time at 80%+ used ram and
it does not take much to get to 98% running windows 7 x64 with 4 gig ram, my home computer is bit better with 12 gig ram so rarely any memory problems,
so far that is i prefer to be able to run a browser, outlook and any adobe app i need at the time without having to close things down.

Memory is cheap these days so no reason to not have at least 8 gig, but that is my opinion of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.

With a 64 bit system today, having just 4 GB may be underkill.  8 GB is a good number, 16 GB even better for Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the size is in Pixels (I.E that you did not crop using inches as the unit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution solved this very same problem I just started having today!  Not sure why the problem even started, but I suspect it was caused by a windows update.

Although I did just run the Adobe Acrobat X update this morning, could it have something to do with why PS just started having RAM issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mgfranz,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop CC 19.1.5.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop CC 2018: An integer between 96 and 8 is required. Closest value inserted. "Could not compl...

Once the update is installed, to allow Photoshop to manage memory the temporary fix needs to be removed.

See this: Error while accessing performance preferences - 'An integer between 96 and 8 is required.'

Here's a list of what's new in this release: Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

step 1) go to reg edit and -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER

step 2) software

step 3) Adobe

step 4) Photoshop

step 5) click eg:- you're Adobe installed location 110.0, 120.0 (click the right path)

step 6) right click the correct key

step 7) right click the key -> click the New-> DWORD(32-bit) value

step 8) Name should be "OverridePhysicalMemoryMB" and press enter

step 9) double click and choose the Hexadecimal value and type "24000" press enter

step 10) close the regedit and  open Adobe photoshop

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you .. it working well 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could not build a preview because there is not enough memory (ram)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That shouldn't be happening, could you please let us know the version of Photoshop you're working on?
Could you please check this conversation and let us know if it helps? "Could not complete the Save As command because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, why does Photoshop always perform previews (merging layers) if saving previews is turned off and compatibility is turned off?
[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll report this problem to be fixed for next release if you illustrate it enough good 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines