"Could not complete your request because of a program error" - Next troubleshooting steps?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, Photoshop started sometimes giving me an error message stating "Could not complete your request because of a program error" when using the Spot Healing Brush tool.  I would then have to complete my edit by doing the edit in much smaller chunks using that tool (which often but not always worked) or another tool such as the Clone Stamp tool.  Then things got worse, as I sometimes got the same error message when trying to do a Save or Save As, and so lost all the work I had done on that photo.

At that point, after some googling about the error message, I reset my preferences (using Reset Preferences on Quit) and manually redid my (very few) customizations when I next opened Photoshop.  This did not resolve things. I next tried uninstalling all versions of Photoshop on my computer and reinstalling the current version.  Again, I manually redid my customizations in Photoshop when I opened it again.  The problem is still continuing.  What should I try next?

I am using Photoshop Version: 22.1.0 in Windows.

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Could not complete your request because of a program error" - Next troubleshooting steps?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, Photoshop started sometimes giving me an error message stating "Could not complete your request because of a program error" when using the Spot Healing Brush tool.  I would then have to complete my edit by doing the edit in much smaller chunks using that tool (which often but not always worked) or another tool such as the Clone Stamp tool.  Then things got worse, as I sometimes got the same error message when trying to do a Save or Save As, and so lost all the work I had done on that photo.

At that point, after some googling about the error message, I reset my preferences (using Reset Preferences on Quit) and manually redid my (very few) customizations when I next opened Photoshop.  This did not resolve things. I next tried uninstalling all versions of Photoshop on my computer and reinstalling the current version.  Again, I manually redid my customizations in Photoshop when I opened it again.  The problem is still continuing.  What should I try next?

I am using Photoshop Version: 22.1.0 in Windows.

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 08, 2021 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the program error, could you please try all the steps mentioned here and let us know if it helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/program-error-opening-psd.html#Programerrorwhilesavingfiles

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021 0
JEK99 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the delay in replying. As the problems occurred only sometimes, I wanted to do enough photo processing to be highly confident that the problem was fixed before replying.  The first thing I tried was rolling back one version.  That did not work.  I then rolled back one more version.  This worked!  I am now using Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.0.1 20201106.r.73 without problems.  Am I right in thinking that I should hold off on the next few version updates and try again a bit down the track to see if a new version does not have the problems I have experienced?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2021 0