• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not open "filename" because of a program error" on any file that has a shape layer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason when ever I use shape layers, Photoshop bricks the file after it is saved. After working on a project for several hours, I came back to realize the .psd could not be opened. It also could not be opened on my college's machine.

As a test, I put one single shape layer in a blank project and saved it. The same result. Any file containing shape layers cannot be opened. Project with one shape layer attached. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cam you supply any information about your Hardware and Software. What OS version are you Having Problems on with which Photoshop version and are all your devices driver the latest available? Its impossible to give you any advices if we do not know anything about your environment.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All drivers and Photoshop version are most current available. Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your test.psd open in Photoshop 21.2.4 and Photoshop 22.0.1 the same  way on my Windows 10 2004 machine machine. A background layer a rounded rectangle empty fill shape layer with a 5px inside  gray stroke. A Stroke layer style also added and there is quivk mask mode active selection. What I find interesting is the Layer style 8px outside black stroke is on  both sides of the shape layer inner 5px gray stroke because the Shape layer fill is enpty Photoshop seems to consider the area inside the shape layer closed path as outside the layers 5px inside shape path stroke. 21.24 and 22.01 work the same. For me.

image.pngimage.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I sent this file to 3 others and all 3 reported back they could not open the file in 22.0.1. I'm not sure what we're all having trouble with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fwiw, test.psd opens perfectly fine in CC2019.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Can I install this version through my CC subscription? The previous version tab only goes back to 21.2.4. I tried CC2020 with no luck opening the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe makes only the current and previous versions available, so if you haven't got an old CC2019 installer squirreled away somewhere, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Can I install this version through my CC subscription?"

No but you can download it from here

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2019-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines