"Could not save because the file is locked" error

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this problem has been posted several times, but I have been unable to find an answer that actually solved the problem.

I am using a PC running Windows 10, running Photoshop CC 2018 (was previously running 2017 -- have had the problem with both versions). When I have a brand new document, I am able to save it fine. If I make changes and try to save it again, I get the message "could not save because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions..." etc. I have not locked the file. I have not even closed the file since creating or previously saving it. This happens about 50% of the time I try to save anything. I have checked that no other program is using the file, and I have also tried running Photoshop as administrator on start up, which did not resolve the problem. Even worse, after I receive the error message, if I close the file, it simply disappears. As many searches as I run for it, the file is just gone. The only way I am able to save documents is to copy all the layers from a project into a brand new document -- which I can save once before the error occurs again.

I've used Photoshop for about 5 years and this started happening a couple of weeks ago, but I've seen other users' posts referencing the same error spanning several years back. Because of that I'm fairly certain this is an Adobe issue, not a Windows issue. Does anyone know what is wrong, and how I can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Could not save because the file is locked" error

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this problem has been posted several times, but I have been unable to find an answer that actually solved the problem.

I am using a PC running Windows 10, running Photoshop CC 2018 (was previously running 2017 -- have had the problem with both versions). When I have a brand new document, I am able to save it fine. If I make changes and try to save it again, I get the message "could not save because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions..." etc. I have not locked the file. I have not even closed the file since creating or previously saving it. This happens about 50% of the time I try to save anything. I have checked that no other program is using the file, and I have also tried running Photoshop as administrator on start up, which did not resolve the problem. Even worse, after I receive the error message, if I close the file, it simply disappears. As many searches as I run for it, the file is just gone. The only way I am able to save documents is to copy all the layers from a project into a brand new document -- which I can save once before the error occurs again.

I've used Photoshop for about 5 years and this started happening a couple of weeks ago, but I've seen other users' posts referencing the same error spanning several years back. Because of that I'm fairly certain this is an Adobe issue, not a Windows issue. Does anyone know what is wrong, and how I can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 03, 2018 1
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it is a Smart Object created from a CR2 (raw) file.  From lightroom I chose right-click "Edit in..." and then "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop..." (not my choice of grammar).  Lightroom creates a "temporary" file and opens it in photoshop.  If I save the file, it changes it to a  tif file with -Edit appended to the name.  In my case I right-clicked from AE1B5991.CR2 and it was opened in Photoshop as AE1B5991 and then when I saved it it was named as AE1B5991-Edit.tif.  I then make a bunch of edits and save the file again but the next time I save the file, I get the locked message.  I switch over to lightroom and sure enough, it has picked up the .tif file and has the edits showing in the window.  I only made surrounding adjustment layer changes, never even edited the contents of the smart object (I try and leave that to lightroom).   Am I doing something wrong in the flow?  If I'm not allowed to save as I work, I'm not sure what the benefit of smart objects actually is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  Was you able to fix it?

Thanks 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I just had this problem as well and was searching for a solution in some threads, suddenly without success. Then I checked my recently installed AVG Antivirus, which provides a protected folder feature, automatically assigning some folders by default (including the subfolder where my psd was saved). I removed this folder from AVG's protected folder list and now everything works properly again. So in the end it was actually another program accessing the file indirectly by protecting it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fixed a similar problem.  Tried to save any file I worked on in Photoshop and got told it was locked/protected.

Tried a variety of fixes offered on the web - no good.

Finally found that it was in the settings of AVG free virus checker.

If you go into AVG settings you will likely find that the most recent upgrade has locked your 'C' drive files to being altered by Photoshop.  You can delete/amend that setting in AVG and next time you save a file in Photoshop it will ask you if you want to add Photoshop to programs that can change files.  Problem solved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 1