Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Display" Color profile problems

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning all !
Then I would need the experts in color profile 🙂 :)
I admit that I'm struggling ...
I explain my problem to you:
I work in a box as a graphic designer. From the start I have been working on my photoshop to create illustrations.
The default color profile of my photoshop was "display", and I admit that (shame on me) I did not pay attention and worked on this profile without asking myself any questions.
My co-worker is making video. And when he imported my illustrations I noticed that the colors were much duller and bland.

It was then that the search began to find out where the problem came from.
In fact my red # eb3f31 (for exemple) was very bright for me in "display" mode, and he who was in "sRGB" had it dull.
And actually, when I search for my red # eb3f31 in a Hexadecimal Converter, I have a dull red, and not the bright red that I had in my photoshop ("Display" mode).

The problem is that I put these Hex values ​​(like the red # eb3f31) in my graphic charter.
And I realize that the people who work with this red do not have the same rendering as mine and always have this dull red.
Those who work with UI UX software too.
Am I condemned to change the #hex of my graphic charter?
What is the good color profile to use as a graphist designer ?
It is true that all this is not easy to understand.
Thanks to everyone who can help me 🙂

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

You should never use the display profile as a document profile!

The document profile should always be a standard color space like sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.

Using the display profile at document level disables and cancels out all color management. All references disappear, and the file is displayed according to whatever characteristics your display has. That is a very dangerous thing these days when display characteristics vary enormously. As you have experienced.

With correct color mana

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should never use the display profile as a document profile!

The document profile should always be a standard color space like sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.

Using the display profile at document level disables and cancels out all color management. All references disappear, and the file is displayed according to whatever characteristics your display has. That is a very dangerous thing these days when display characteristics vary enormously. As you have experienced.

With correct color management, the data are converted from the document profile and into the monitor profile, and these corrected values are sent to screen. You need both these profiles, in their correct places. The display profile is set up at system level and used by Photoshop on the fly, as you work, without any user intervention.

To get absolutely correct colors, you need to use a calibrator to measure your display and write a profile accordingly. A generic system profile can never be any better than a rough approximation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, If you are working towards video, it would seem that sRGB is a good colourspace (i.e. working space) for you both. 

If you work in print as well then Adobe RGB would probably be better as a default - then you convert images to sRGB when sending to your video colleague.

Does that work for you? test it please

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey NB__colourmanagement

Thanks to your reply ! 

I work mainly (exclusively) for screens so... Actually I think I will work in sRGB as I also advised D_Fosse!
I'm going to have to change my charter to find equivalent colors that I saw in sRGB so...
The colors are very different!
I did not know that Adobe RGB mode was better for printing, thank you 🙂

Thank you both for these precise answers anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are very welcome, thanks for the "thanks"

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines