Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"...file-format module cannot parse the file" Error

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PS CS3 Extended on a PC

I keep getting the error...file-format module cannot not parse the file" errors when attempting to open PNG or GIF files that were created using the same version of Photoshop.

I used to have to reboot the machine to get rid of this error - but that is no longer working.

The error is occuring more and more frequently.

I really need to edit these files.

Please tell me how to fix this.

I have seen this error in the forum - but was unable to find a real solution. Rebooting the machine is not really a solution.

Thanks
JD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not sound like a Photoshop issue. I'd blame hardware (test RAM and disks), or Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Toby said - time to do some serious checking or you may find yourself with a completely defunct system tomorrow. I wouldn't go as far as attributing this to a hardware error, but it's quite possible that a system DLL used by the loaders is missing/ damaged. Also, since GIFs and PNGs are web image file formats, for the life of it make sure you create proper rules for your virus scanner and firewall to exclude locally created files. Some tools will make files "inert" (to prevent piggyback malware attacks) by chopping off/ changing a few bytes instead of correctly containing them in a safe vault or they may damage the file structure when deep-scanning...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like the file format modules (the things that allow you to open files of certain types, such as PNG) have become corrupted for whatever reason. I would advise doing a virus scan of course, but it could just be that they've become corrupt too. It happens.

I had the same thing happen on one of my other machines, and all it took to fix it was to replace the BMP, PNG and Targa file format .8bi file in the photoshop folder. While the following article is about replacing them because of a security flaw, it still gives you the downloads and the information on where to place the new .8bi files. Give this a try. Worked for me.

Here is that article with the downloads. You'll want to follow the manual instructions:
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb07-13.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, were you able to fix this problem? I'm having the same problem with CS4 Extended on Windows Vista Home Premium and have tried everything I've found to solve it but to no avail. It's hair-tearing stuff!!!

Cheers

Maggiestam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your files are corrupted, there is nothing to fix on the Photoshop side of things.

You need to go to a backup of those files that are not corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying Chris but the files are not corrupted. They open sometimes in CS4, and always do in CS3 and Elements 6, as well as on another computer. I'm talking about all my PNG files. They work most of the time, just not all of the time. If I close down PS CS4 and open it again they open just fine for a while before the problem starts again.

I reset all preferences to factory defaults and uninstalled/ re-installed again this morning so now I'll see what happens.

Cheers

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then something else is wrong with the system.

Something outside of Photoshop is interfereing with file operations, possibly at a low level.

(assuming you didn't replace Photoshop's PNG plugin with a third party plugin...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris, no, no plugins but I am starting to wonder about a security I installed recently. I've taken that off now to see what happens. I've spent days searching for an answer to this, so fingers crossed...!  I really appreciate your input. If I can now trust that my CS4 is doing the right thing I'll start searching elsewhere. The security is the only thing else I can think of now. I'll send a post when it is sorted - or get back here if the frustration drives me to the edge (it wouldn't take much more as my toes are dangling already LOL)

Cheers and thanks

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the files ARE corrupt, this UTILITY might be of use. I have never used it, nor have I had to, but others swear by it.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Hunt. I'm pretty sure the files are okay but I'll hang onto

the link in your post just in case.

Cheers and thank you so much

Maggie

BTW - love the avatar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click file and open it in "PAINT" for PC or "PREVIEW" on MAC. Save as Jpeg. Reopen in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KiranF wrote:

Right click file and open it in "PAINT" for PC or "PREVIEW" on MAC. Save as Jpeg. Reopen in Photoshop

May I suggest instead of Save as JPEG, that you use a lossless format instead, e.g., .BMP.  This will preserve quality.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kiran this solved the problem and the image now opens in photoshop 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You the BOMB!  Tahnk you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A very late reply, but what about gifs? They were recently saved no less, so they can't be damaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Opened it up in preview on my mack and re-saved the PNG. The resultant file opened up just fine. Not sure what I would have done if it had been the actual .psd file that was acting up. Luckily it was just a .png in my case. Panicked for a little while because I had since changed the .psd file to a point that it would be really annoying to undo all of the edits. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. It is a webp image format. rename the file to webp. open in paint and save as jpg. I open images with irfanView. it fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines