Highlighted

"Master" layer alignment? (SOLVED)

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: a few minutes after I posted, I found a workaround. For those interested, just select all the layers that need to be aligned, then use CMD (Mac) and click the "master" layer's thumbnail to select the content, then click the align button. Everything will be aligned to that selected layer

Let's say I have 2 layers of text. 

One is closer to the left margin of my canvas, while the other is more to the right.

I want to align them, using the left layer my "master" so the right layer will shift to the left.

Or vice versa.

Is there a way to "lock" one of the layers so Photoshop knows which one is the main layer that everything else needs to use as their "guide"? Right now, if I select both layers and want to align their center, they will both move and meet in the middle of their distance, but maybe I want to lock one of the layers and make the other layer meet the locked layer.

I've always struggled with this, because sometimes it aligns the way I want, sometimes it aligns to the wrong layer...

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Master" layer alignment? (SOLVED)

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: a few minutes after I posted, I found a workaround. For those interested, just select all the layers that need to be aligned, then use CMD (Mac) and click the "master" layer's thumbnail to select the content, then click the align button. Everything will be aligned to that selected layer

Let's say I have 2 layers of text. 

One is closer to the left margin of my canvas, while the other is more to the right.

I want to align them, using the left layer my "master" so the right layer will shift to the left.

Or vice versa.

Is there a way to "lock" one of the layers so Photoshop knows which one is the main layer that everything else needs to use as their "guide"? Right now, if I select both layers and want to align their center, they will both move and meet in the middle of their distance, but maybe I want to lock one of the layers and make the other layer meet the locked layer.

I've always struggled with this, because sometimes it aligns the way I want, sometimes it aligns to the wrong layer...

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 19, 2020 0

Have something to add?