Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Save for Web" giving wrong file type and weight on preview

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

Since the latest update I've been having problems with "Save for Web" dialog window. Let's say I want to save a file to JPEG but the dialog window always shows me parameters for GIF file. Whenever I change the file type (to PNG, GIF, WBMP) parameters for GIF stay the same. Even if I change settings to (for ex.) JPEG, quality 50, etc. it will show me info for GIF file. It really messes my work because sometimes I have to save files to specific type and specific weight. Anybody got a solution? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Reinstalling entire app helped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the settings issue. Which Photoshop version do you have installed? You may try reset Photoshop preferences back to defaults and let us know if that helps. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/3ceal5t

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

My version is 21.2.4.

I've noticed that if I select GIF in "Save for Web" and change the file settings the preview window doesn't change at all. 

Whenever I change colors, transparency, web snap, etc. I don't get any visible changes in the preview window.... Nothing happens... And these settings stay for any other file type. So like I said: if I select JPEG and try to change its settings nothing changes as for the preview and file info. If I select PNG and do the same thing nothing changes... And so on and so on. 

Reseting preferences didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, have you tried File > Export > Export As? 

I think that's nowadays (usually) a much better option than Save for Web, except when you're exporting an animated GIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the case unfortunately. I need to see the size, type, preview, etc. of my file and have abaility to change its settings (like converting colors, quality, etc.) when I'm saving it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ability* 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling entire app helped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same exact problem ... very very frustrating. Experimented initially with GIFs, but later also with JPG files. A file that should be 200kb in preview (red border) becomes about 486kb after saving. I have to save files with precise and certain weights, this thing is not possible ... the absurd thing is that if you do the preview via web/browser (green border) and save the image file directly from the browser, the file weights are correct !! why??

safe-for-web_wrong_final_weight.png

macOS 10.14.6
Photoshop 22.5.9

• can't upgrade to newer versions
  • delete preferences and reinstall apps did not give results ...

Thanks a lot for any helps!!!
Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines