• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

random repeating squiggles appearing when selecting an area

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the VLC player to filter scenes in .jpg form from a .mp4. Now I am trying to edit the image, but when I attempt to select the foreground to apply a filter, these random repeating white shapes appear on whatever my new layer is. I delete them and then I select something to edit and they reappear. what is happenign here and how do I stop this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like some sort of issue with frame rate and scan lines.  Perhaps VLC is not the best way to grab the still frames.  Have you tried opening the MP4 file directly into Photoshop and grabbing a still from there?  What resolution is the video file and does your monitor match it?  If not do you absolutely need the still to be the correct full res size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go

[EDIT]  I have just watched the video.  It's from Brian O'Neil Hughes so we expect it to be useful, but it surprised me by having incredibly useful content that I did not know.  That is to say, I knew the individual concepts Brian used, but it has never ocurred to me to use them in this way to extract a video still that is going to be cleaner and sharper than simply getting a screen grab.  So I have learned a really useful trick — you never stop learning with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Trevor. The other thing that seemed to help last night was select > modify> smooth and increasing the value there, but I will also see if I can grab a cleaner image using the method below, although after having the issue with the still grabbed from the video, I was having the same issue on other files converted to .jpg from .HEIC and after smothing the selection that seems to have helped there also... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines