Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random Squares Appearing during Export

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

I have a strange issue going on. Whenever I try to export as a PNG from Photoshop (V22.3), I get random squares on the exported image. If I add a background, it seems fine however the file needs to be transparent. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

In that case it's a problem with layer compositing and blending.

The workaround is to flatten prior to exporting (remember to undo the flattening before saving the original!)

A few versions back a new layer compositing engine was implemented. In the beginning it was a bit buggy, so there was a checkbox in preferences to "use legacy compositing". Recently that checkbox was removed, on the grounds that the problems had been fixed.

But apparently not, and I suspect they should have left the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these squares still there when you open the PNG in other apps, or even reopen them in Photoshop?  It sounds like a video card driver issue, but that would only apply if the artefacts are only on the screen, and not in the exported PNG.

If not video card, then it could be OS specific.  What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can you post some example image? Upload and embed in post, do not use attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the responses! Yes, when I do the export, the exported file has the squares in it as well. I have uploaded a screenshot of how the image looks during the export. These aren't visible when editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case it's a problem with layer compositing and blending.

The workaround is to flatten prior to exporting (remember to undo the flattening before saving the original!)

A few versions back a new layer compositing engine was implemented. In the beginning it was a bit buggy, so there was a checkbox in preferences to "use legacy compositing". Recently that checkbox was removed, on the grounds that the problems had been fixed.

But apparently not, and I suspect they should have left the checkbox. I've seen a couple of similar cases recently.

Bottom line - this should be reported as a bona fide bug on the feedback site (the official bug report channel). Include as many specific details as you can.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/photoshop/5f5f2092785c1f1e6cc4086b 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it!! Thank you so much. It was very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i flatten the image, the squares show up on that image? cannot find a way round, very very very very frustrating, paying a lot for this.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out a work around! See if your color mode is in RGB if you switch it to a CMYK color profile then flatten it resolves the issue. 

When converting to the other color profile it may switch up some settings and you may need to fix some color changes but all around pretty good fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines