Randomly appearing display glitches - areas of a layer (or layers) removed at random

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS version 22.3.1

GPU GTX 1660 Super -  all drivers up to date

dual screen setup

Machine is a brand new build about a week old

With apparently no warning, I get these kind of hard imprints appearing on layers, either as a negative 'stamp' of a brush or other part of the canvas.  They seem to appear completely at random and become imbedded in a layer or layers, so if I turn off preserve transparency I can paint over them. They still remain when closing and reopneing the file/photoshop or full restart.

The second image below is a photo dragged in from another folder and sort of caused the corruption of the entire file, leading to multiple ruined layers, seen in the last image. Dragging in any other photo at this point caused the same problem seen in the second image here. But, when I restarted photoshop, I could drag in photos without any issue (but still leaving the initial imprints imbedded in the layers, like in image 3).

This has happened to multiple files now, although yesterday it happened once with only a minor affect, then didn't happen for the rest of the day. My first thought was to turn off  Use GPU, but I don't even know when or if the problem will occur during a session.

There's absolutely no issue i'm aware of in other software, like Blender and no problem with game displays or generally within windows. Could be a GPU problem specifically with Photoshop? Any help here with potential problems or tests I could do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ps_issue2.JPGps_issue3.JPGps_issue4.JPG

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Photoshop 2020 that version 21 of Photoshop version 21.2.7 is the current version of Photoshop 2020. 

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 2 weeks since using 2020 with no problems and i've now got the same issue in this version (21.2.7). Resetting PS clears things up, but still left with the shapes imbedded in layers. The only thing that's possibly different in this sceanrio I can think of,  is that I had spotify and youtube accidentally playing at the same time - seems odd, but could that have caused some sort of conflict? Going to at least try to replicate it.ps_issue6.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nb. this time the problem didn't occur out of nowhere. Instead I noticed a brush behaving oddly and not being able to correctly colour pick the layer I was on. Opened a new file to test out the brush and the new file opened already corrupted. went back to the previous file and that had been messed up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A quick search here and google and I have found out that Spotify has hardware acceleration enabled automatically, so switched it off. Maybe that causes some kind of conflict? There doesn't seem to be too much info out there specific to this problem, but thats my best guess right now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines