• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Randomly losing pressure sensitivity in photoshop?

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2010 Nov 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tablet keeps randomly losing pressure sensitivity, like this:

pressure.jpg

Every few strokes it throws in one or a few strokes without pressure sensitivity. There seems to be no pattern to this.

The weird thing is that this seems to only be happening in Photoshop - I tried Paint Tool SAI and everything seems to be working fine there.

I use a Wacom Intuos3, Photoshop CS4 and Windows XP. My tablet is five years old and quite beat up, so its entirely possible that this is my tablet's fault, although I find it hard to believe, since it's never glitched on me like this.

Things I've tried and haven't helped:

Re-installing my tablet driver, changed nothing

Changing my tablet pen's nib, nothing changed

Downloading and using the trial version of PS CS5, same problem persisted.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What can I do to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - I think we fixed this problem.

In Photoshop, add a user config file like this:

1. Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

2. Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt

4. Put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

5. Restart Photoshop and check the pen pressure and overall performance.

Follow these optimization recommendations:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Make your settings like this:Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is worth trying. But, Adobe is known to move the goal post on this kind of solution for some reason. I had a problem with QHD screen elements being too tiny to use and found a solution offered by someone on his site. I used it, sure enough, it worked. And, I even wrote about it on my own site. On the next update, it stopped working because of a registry change they made! Go figure! Here is my post, I hope this solution does not get tripped like the previous one:

https://www.keptlight.com/qhd-displays-and-photoshop/

By the way, should the new text file go into the settings folder under Adobe 2015 or 2020, or even 2019? All of them are there, I don't know which one takes precedence over the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all those having the issue on PS CC 2020, try updating to version 21.1.3: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I updated my computers and on my laptop, the pen behaved with no problems as I reported here. I would like to suggest, as a professor emeritus of marketing, Adobe considers becoming more customer-oriented rather than product-oriented. A little reply here all this time would have gone a long way. But, thanks for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after today's update, I was not getting pressure sensitivity in PS2020, although I did have it in CC2018 and earlier. I tried installing the latest drivers from Wacom, but still no joy. What finally worked was uninstalling the Wacom from Windows "Programs and Features", and then installing the new driver. This all involved several computer restarts, and crawling around to the back of my computer to un-plug and re-plug the USB cable, but I now have pen pressure in the latest Photoshop. Hooray!

FWIW, the tablet is an old Intuos 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Semaphoric, your problem was maybe different from the intermittent loss of pressure sensitivy from the last update. Glad to hear you are all set!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I installed the newest update, uninstalled and reinstalled the wacom driver and still keep losing pressure sensitivity. Also the jitters in the brush stroke are still there. I am new to windows, as I previously worked with mac, so not sure if I'm missing something, but these issues don't seem fixed for me yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

I had that problem too, and i found that solution in an article from
https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/how-to-disable-windows-ink

Has I supposed that windows ink (windows 10 app) was trying to mess with my pen and produced the situation. I disabled "ink" following the steps, and worked all day without instability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a link on YouTube  which solved all lag and pen pressure sensitivity issues. It's just one line of script which is to be added in the main location file of Adobe Photoshop CC 20_ _ , a txt file in which you have to write " UseSystemStylus 0" that's all the issue will be solved !!

The link:  https://youtu.be/sGi47EWEkuY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem. I hoped it would stop when switching to older photoshop versions (down to photoshop 22.0 v), but it didn't help. Updating graphics/tablet drivers and using the txt file with "UsingStylus..." isn't working either. It's just enoying ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines