Highlighted

RAW files save as PSD with Droplets?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have folders and sub folders with RAW files.
These must be converted automatically (Droplets or something else :)) into PSD files. The order structure must be preserved. What is the best workaround? Ideally with droplets.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance!!! 🙂

Topics

Actions and scripting, How to, Import and export, Make It, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RAW files save as PSD with Droplets?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have folders and sub folders with RAW files.
These must be converted automatically (Droplets or something else :)) into PSD files. The order structure must be preserved. What is the best workaround? Ideally with droplets.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance!!! 🙂

Topics

Actions and scripting, How to, Import and export, Make It, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, the images must be stored as smart objects in the PSD. So that I can access all profiles back in camera raw.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manual process to do this is:

1. Opend RAW in Photoshop

2. Camera Raw opens the RAW file.

3. User Click in Camera RAW on open as object

4. Photoshop opens the File.

5. User Save the File in Photoshop as PSD.

When we now open the PSD Photoshop opens. And now double click on the Layer -> Camera Raw is opening again the RAW file 🙂

I need something to automat this to speed up my workflow. Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Image Processor Pro and create an action to save your RAW file and embed it as a Smart Object.
Otherwise you would need to write a custom script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu File>Scripts>Image Processor...]

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack I know. BUT!

The image in the PSD isn't than a raw file in PSD. When you double clock on the layer camera raw doesn't open.

The Process with "Menu File>Scripts>Image Processor..." is different as when I open the RAW file as object in Photoshop and safe as PSD = RAW image embedded in PSD.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not state you wanted the PSD to contain placed RAW files as smart object layers.  You would need to script that yourself.   If all the  raw  files are from the same camera   you could most likely create a simple  collage template for the canvas size you want and use the batch picture package script to do one folder  at a time,

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:

1) Set the ACR workflow options to open the raw files as a smart object (this step could be omitted and a step added to the action to convert to smart object)

2) Create a single step action to save as PSD

3) Create a droplet to include all subfolders/suppress open and colour profile warnings + save/close override action save as commands

EDIT: I have been experimenting and I can't repeat the results from yesterday, I tried Batch/Droplet/Image Processor/Image Processor Pro... Not sure what is going on!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen  setting ACR work flow option to open as a smart object may work in a droplet. I have not tested that  That does not work with the Image Processor script the Image Processor script create a normal layer of with the raw converted image when ACR  work flow preferences is set to open as object.

Adding an action step in a droplet or in a image  processor action to convert the image layer to a smart object layer will not create a RAW smart Object.  The smart object layer will not be the layer the OP wants.  The converted smart object layer would open in Photoshop  for the object is a Photoshop Layer not a raw file. object.

Though my batch picture package script can do  one folder at a time the op would not like the File name of the saved PSD files.  The op would need to change the Script statement that builds the output file  name. Its a one line change. 

However, if there are other image file format beside RAW file in the folder to be process a second statement would need to be changed to filter input file types to only process RAW image file types. The  current filter would process most Image File types.  By the same token I do not  know if any kind a input file filter  is  available for a droplet to use to filter image file types if folders are dropped on a droplet. I do not see any filtering option in the create droplet dialog.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

// Stephen  setting ACR work flow option to open as a smart object may work in a droplet.

JJ, it does work, I did test it before posting, which is why I wrote it worked for me.

Unfortunately, I added the bit about omitting the ACR workflow options smart object step to create a smart object as an afterthought, without thinking it through or testing it. One would need to relink to the original raw file to replace the .psb smart object with a raw smart object.

I personally never use droplets, so I presume if they are being used, then the human operator is going to act as the file type filter and only drag the required files onto the droplet in the first place.

EDIT: I have been experimenting and I can't repeat the results from yesterday, I tried Batch/Droplet/Image Processor/Image Processor Pro... Not sure what is going on!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if the OP want to use some existing batch process to do the job they will need to isolate their RAW files in some file system tree so no other image file types will be involved in the process. If they need to process subfolders. For you state a droplet can do the job with the right ACR workflow option for you tested it.  Automate Batch may also be able to do it its interface is like the droplet dialog it can include subfolders,  both batch an action. I believe you found a usable solution for the op.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree JJMack, if a top-level or sub-folder is dragged to the droplet then it will process all readable files as there is no file type filter.

I have not tested, however, I too have always considered batch and droplets to be two sides of the same coin.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines