Raw photo files loaded onto my new MacBook Pro load into photoshop only as JPEG.

Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have just purchased a powerful MacBook Pro to load and edit Raw camera files.

The photo files load onto the computer as RAW files but, once loaded into photoshop they convert to JPEG?

TOPICS
Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Raw photo files loaded onto my new MacBook Pro load into photoshop only as JPEG.

Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have just purchased a powerful MacBook Pro to load and edit Raw camera files.

The photo files load onto the computer as RAW files but, once loaded into photoshop they convert to JPEG?

TOPICS
Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which RAW format? 

How do you open them exactly? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how do you know they are "Converted to JPEG"? What do you see that tells you this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the raw file is loaded in photoshop up top of screen it indicates the
file information and indicates it is a JPEG file.
So the photo was taken as a RAW only setting in my LUMIX camera loaded onto
my computer into photos and opened on Photo Shop which should be a Raw
file to edit but shows as a JPEG.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it is a jpeg.

Check your camera settings. It's either set to shoot jpeg or raw+jpeg.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it would my thought too.
How it came about was I employed a local professional photographer to teach
me photo shop editing. While he was here we took some raw-only photos With
my camera.
They loaded onto my MacBook Pro naturally as raw photos.
Transferred to PS, JPEG.
Some ware between photos in the computer to PS they convert to JPEG.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly do you get them from camera to computer, and from computer to Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We used a USB cable to load them directly to the  photo album onto the computer.

The files were then transferred to desk top.

we opened PS and transferred from desk top to PS.

Ar first the professional loaded through bridge but same result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain "load them directly to the  photo album onto the computer." What steps do you follow and what do you call the photo album? There are lots of possibilities. And what system (e.g. Mac OS 10.12.9, Windows 8.2)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep any other OS-native apps like Mac Photos out of the equation! Many of them will do their own things to the files, like convert them to jpeg, or only pass on the jpeg previews. You need to stay away from all of them.

Copy the files directly from the camera to your hard drive. Take the memory card out from the camera, and use a card reader. Either use Bridge "Get Photos from Camera", or simply copy the files over from the card. Or Lightroom if you use that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I just discovered that when I export raw files from photos to
desktop it only gives me options, TIFF,JPEG or PNG not RAW,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. As I said, keep Photos well out of it. Copy your raw files directly to disk and open them directly into ACR.

Photos is not a raw processor and it has no way to deal with raw files. It just takes the jpeg preview that is embedded in the file by the camera, and sends that on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your email.
I will certainly do that.
Appreciate your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. By default, when you open a Raw file on Photoshop, it opens with the Camera Raw plug-in. If you want to keep the Raw format you don't need to make anything after the edition.  If you need export to another format you can do it with Camera Raw.

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for your email.
I have it sorted now appreciate your helping.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you solved the problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is solved. Don't know if Debbie has gotten around to sorting it out, though 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is sorted out.
I appreciate your help.
Thank You.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0