• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: making "lined paper" (evenly spaced lines)

Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, just spent two hours trying to do this using this video. Problem is, so many things are different in CC2021. Missing tools, missing words. "Click on this thing." That thing does not appear in my tools. 

Looked easy when she did it. Two hours later and can't make the line layers distribute. Distribute tool is grayed out. So frustrating. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sarapia777 

Adobe changed the way the line tool works in PS 2021. Instead of drawing pixel rectangles, it now draws actual lines. See how it works here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/line-tool.html

To use Distribute, you need to have multiple layers selected. Position the top and bottom layers, then use Distribute to equally space the remaining layers.

Post a screen shot if you need more help.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will give it a try. I did have all 15 layers selected but no way to choose distribute as it was all grayed out. I took me long enough to even get to that point. Hardly any of the instructions worked so I had to hunt and peck - don't even ask me how I got that far. Thanks, I look forward to pursuing this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I basically understand how to use the line tool. I have fifteen layers selected but when I go up into Distribute, it's all grayed out. How do I activate the distribute tool? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screen shot that includes your Layers panel and options bar so we can see what you are seeing?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sarapia777_0-1615143652441.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See how the drop-down tools, including distribute, are grayed out? Even though the layers are all selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to get the 'distribute' tool to activate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of the selected layers locked?

Do you have any Smart Objects selected that contain locked layers?

The shape layers we can see in your screen shot will make no difference, and no should the fgact you have Canvas rather than Selection set.  Some distribution options need a selection set  — often the full canvas — but that should not be causing an issue from what can see in your screen shot.  I susp[ect something is locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I find out what/where is locked? Layers do not appear to be locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @sarapia777 

You did not show all of the layers — there is a scroll bar in your layers panel. I just did a test: Distribute is available when all of the Line Layers are selected:

jane-e_0-1615325698088.png

It is not available when the locked Background layer is selected. If you select only the line layers then you will be able to use Distribution.

jane-e_1-1615325816636.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines