• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

realistic images / combining layers

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping that someone responds to this. I know there are limited personel on this forum, but I'm crossing my fingers that someone responds to this. 

I have an image (final image below) that I'm trying to make realistic by combining all layers, but my completed work does not look realistic. This is a task that I would llike someone to help me with. Or maybe my eyes are deceving me and the image looks fine. 

First here are the layers (images) I'm working with (attached below), and the final image is also attached below. 

Can someone help me with this and also add steps as to how they got their results. 

Thanks

SkySkyFloorFloorFenceFencePersonPersonFinal ImageFinal Image

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• One problem in my opinion: You distorted the lightning too strongly. 

• But maybe the main one: The person does not cast any shadow on the ground and its lighting does not correspond to the situation.

If the lightning bolt is intended to be the main light source the person is lit plain wrong. 

• And neither the fence nor the floorboards seem to feature wood-planks that would appear plausible in relation to the human person. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lightning is from an image I got from the internet. I didn't do this on my own. I'm too new to this software to know how to do this..lol. The erson does not have a cst of any shadow on the ground because I don't know how to do that. I can always google it and figure it out. You're right that the person is light plain wrong too. I guess I have to figure out how to do this section to make the person blend in more. Again, all so new to me, but I'll try to figure it out. If it were you doing this, what steps would you take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The first thing that I noticed is your image sizes, you have the fence image size of 355 * 242 px and floor image size of 267 * 189 px and the sky image size is 1280 * 720

You're resizing the lower res images to match the higher res main image, hence the blurring/stretching effect, try to find images of matching sizes, the higher the resolution the better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upper edge of the fence also seems a little too straight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do that. I think it would be better for me to take photos myself as opposed to finding them on the internet. It's hard for me to find a resonable size, only if Im doing it wrong. Or maybe I can resize the image myself once uploaded in photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always better to take your own photos, if you can

No copyright issues that way also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup! you're correct. I'm just trying to understand photoshop by using different images. However, I think i'll just use my own background images to learn. It makes learning a bit easier for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a technical point: Did you combine the elements as plain Layers or as Smart Objects? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I combined the layers as Smart Objects. It still doesn't look right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As c.p. mentioned, you really need to pay attention to lighting (that's lighting without the n). It is very far from realistic.

Lighting is why most composites look unrealistic.

The foreground and figure need to be much darker and in shadow, illuminated primarily by the bolt of lightning itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right... I have to figure out how to do that as well. The foreground and figuer definetly need to be much darker and in shadow for sure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also need to color match the elements. Compared to the lightning, everything is too warm. It should be cool like the clouds. The other suggestions are spot on, especially the lighting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! you're right. I'm wondering if anyone can show me..step by step as to how to do this and make it more realistic. I'm still learning here, but there aren't a lot of videos that can explain this as if I were a dummy...LOL... I've come a long way for sure from 2016, but I often get stuck on things as I learn here. I'll try to do all the suggestions thougha and see what I come up with too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters, I would take a sample of the Cloud color, make a solid color fill layer, change the blend mode to color, then adjust the opacity down to match the various elements. Of course put everything except the clouds is a group and set the blend mode to normal, so the solid fill adjustment layer only affects the layers in the group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To save yourself a lot of grief, look for images where the lighting matches (direction, etc). Don't attempt to change an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. That's what it all comes down to.

In short, this isn't as easy as people tend to think. Changing the lighting of an object really means rebuilding all tonal relationships. In effect, reconstructing the image from scratch. It's not that it can't be done, by a skilled worker, but it's an incredible amount of work and only rarely is it worth the effort.

Anyone can put elements together, that's the easy part. Getting it to look as if it really happened, that takes expertise and sweat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not like what I'm about to write.  You are acting like a your a baby that requires information bottle fed to them by caring adults. There are many Photoshop Tutorials on the web and Photoshop Classes available for you.  If you want to learn Photoshop you should take advantage of what is available.  Bottle feeding is something caring Parents do out of love other do it for Pay.   I have no problem with you asking for help with a particular problem you are having. However asking  for a free education for a complex application like Photoshop with step by step instructions is asking a lot in a forum it could take years.  Photoshop has a huge learning curve and the are bugs in Photoshop you need to work around.   Do your parent know Photoshop.

You can learn a lot reading  and participating in forum you should take advantage of them IMO asking for custom step by step Photoshop education is a bit too much ask for. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all that has been said above regarding starting with images with sufficient detail etc and especially regarding lighting. You can use a combination of adjustments and masks to alter the lighting on composite elements. I did that, using your images above to give this:

2020-06-27_15-49-23.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, Dave — the lighting and shading makes a world of difference.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make something that looks realistic you need to start with good Images. With good images you can even make images that are not realistic look good.   You can not make poor images into a good quality realistic looking image.  Here is an example of a before and afters image not realistic but it looks high quality good. Before And After  And you can reconstructs missing parts of images using existing parts.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compositing images together can be so much fun.

So this month I taught to classes here in German the basics of several pieces of Adobe software.  During my three days of Photoshop... I showed the following video.  One of my students actually rewatched it and was able to create a similar effect.  I was really impressed by her work.

Now the video below is just a screen recording to music.... but wow, breathtaking.  I was really surprised by my student was able to follow the video on her own and recreate the same type of idea.

So I hope this inspires you.  I know there are several tutorials on YouTube that will give you step by step by step instructions.  But this is a pretty cool video to watch even if it is not a tutorial

https://youtu.be/T9T8jWGDxfs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines